Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't finish my quilts >

Can't finish my quilts

Can't finish my quilts

Old 04-07-2012, 06:05 AM

I, too, get to a point where I do not want to view the finished project. It is more on the bigger quilts, not on a smaller project like a table topper, runner, or small wall hanging. I don't know if it is the "it is the end of working on this" or if it is "now what am I going to do?" I still, after about 35 years of quilting do not have the confidence to choose printed fabrics. I made Amish inspired quilts for years because there is not pattern to the fabric, and now am working solely in batiks for the same reason. I can put the colors together, it is the patterns, values, etc., that drive me nuts when making quilts. I have found that buy buying the precuts, or staying in one line of fabric that I do better, and am getting a wee bit more confident in my choices, but still...

So, I relate totally. I need to get a couple of things basted and get on with them. I will post when I get them done. I have one, that I have called my "UGLY" quilt that needs to be tied and then bound. It was a BOM, and I detested the colors once I started it, and had a real hard time sewing it. Others tell me it is lovely. I don't think it deserves any more than a quick tieing. Is that how it is spelled? You all know what I mean anyway. Or maybe I should just bar tack ever square. Anyway, I relate. And I would love to see some of your finished products.

Anita in Northfield, MN
Old 04-07-2012, 06:27 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day!

I have several projects that are ALMOST done, and for some reason I am reluctant to finish them. I finally decided it was because though I get that "Finished Object Rush" when I do complete a project, there is also a sense of "Okay.... now what?" Weird, isn't it? I think it is because we get so involved in the whole process of "making", that when we are done, there is kind of a momentary vacuum. Granted, there are always more projects, but for a moment there is an emptiness where your concentration has been. Your thoughts are used to going to that project, and now it is gone, and it could be a little mentally disconcerting.

Or, that all may be a bunch of psychological bunk. Maybe I just procrastinate! LOL
Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Eleanor Roosevelt said "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Now it is time to revoke the consent you gave others. Take charge of finding the binding method that feels right for you and you will enjoy finishing your quilts.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Suz

Default Can't finish my quilts

I have not read this entire thread, but my first thought was depression. Please make an appointment and see what your doctor has to say.

Otherwise, get together with two or three close quilting friends and explain your resistance to finish and ask for their help. They can probably relate. They can visit you first and get you started, and then the group can move to the next person's UFOs and assist her in finishing. With friends to cheer each other or and offer encouragement, you will all be starting new projects with no UFSs in the basket.

Also, have you thought of doing the binding by machine. Attach it to the back side first, turn to the top and then use one of your decorative stitches on the top. I like to use the herringbone stitch for binding.

Good luck. If I lived nearby, I'd be your helpful friend.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 AM

I feel your pain. Being the second youngst in a family of seven I always felt and still do actually, that my opinion never mattered. By the time I came along compliments were few and far between. It's unfortunate it's so hard to shake that negative baggage. Do you have quilting friends? If not we could be them. Post your quilts on this board and I'm sure you will get plenty of encouragement. By the way, I like making the tops but don't really enjoy the actually quilting part because I'm not very good at it. So let's see your quilts!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Dear Annesthreads,

Try to picture in your mind what the beautiful quilt will look like finished. This will help motivate you to the process of completion. This helps me a lot, especially when I get stuck on a problem or issue with the top. I stare at it, and try to imagine it's beauty once finished.

Upon some soul searching about my life, I have come to realize one of the ways I love myself, is cuddling up under one of my creations, a quilt. I truly feel the capacity of loving myself, complete through working so hard to finish. I love to lay under a quilt, a feel the abundance of self love. It really is a beautiful thing.

It's a good thing to love yourself. Sometimes it's hard to do, especially when we tend to replay old messages.

I have also come to realize when I give my quilts away, that I too, hope, they will feel my love. It's like giving love away to those I care most about.

I hope that helps. Let us know how you do. A lot of people here care about you.

Love,

mmonroe
Old 04-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Anne, you have hit a nerve with a lot of people! Thanks for sharing your story.

I looked at the quilts on your blog- very well done. You seem to be a process person, in which case it would not be do surprising that your focus is not on 'getting it done'.

Has this discussion helped make the process of finishing any more appealing?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Hi, Annesthreads,
Boy can I relate! I have many tops just about finished....but I keep moving on to new projects! The why for me is that I absolutely love the challenge of seeing pattern and colors come together....when I see how well it 'works' I am so pleased....for me it's the process...not the finished project. I keep telling myself that it's my creative side and it's okay! LOL...but someday I really MUST get them finished. I'm beginning to realize that there is a lot of time and $ tied up in them and no one is getting any pleasure from them piled up unfinished. When I look at it that way I think I can use them to make someone else happy and that gives me some encouragement! So, let's work together trying to finish them up one at a time!!! Deal? Maybe I need someone to challenge me! Take care! Chigger
Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Yes, I have two tops that are waiting as well. I am a procrastinator and a borderline Hoarder. I personally think that if I finish them then they must go live somewhere other than my home, but I love them so I want to keep them thus I don't finish. You work so hard, put so much time in, then what? DO they have to live somewhere else? Or can keep them? Or is that selfish?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Been there!! BUT I have a stubborn streak and if you tell me I can't or I am not good enough I will prove you wrong. I know I am not perfect but I am a winner...just like you!!! Let your light shine