Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Am An Addict >

I Am An Addict

I Am An Addict

Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 AM

jump in and get started girl you will find you will love it even more with all the beautiful quilts you will have to show for your addiction.....lol..
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM

You may be an addict, but aren't we ALL ?? I know I AM !
I still have to fight that "perfectionist" tendency too, even after quilting for 25 yrs. I used to hate to cut into my pretties, then I thought "WHAT am I waiting for, do I want this to end up in a garage sale one day ?" ... and remember, there is ALWAYS MORE FABRIC out there !!

There are NO perfect quilts ... even the big quilt show winners have some flaw, some mistake ... known only to their makers. The Amish and other 1800's quilters used to intentionally put a "mistake" block in their quilts ... they believed it was vanity to try to make a "perfect quilt".
Take a new class at your LQS, and join a group ... seeing other quilts IN PERSON and sharing great ideas is the best motivation ! Good Luck

Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-29-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 AM

If you don't give yourself permission to make mistakes in quilting, it just won't be as much fun. If there is a way to screw up a pattern, this girl has found it!! Example, the disappearing nine patch. Who could screw that up you ask. Well I did! It's not meant for one directional prints. Have to do a lot of unsewing. Point of this is just jump in both feet. The more fabric you use the more you can buy!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 AM

You just have to jump in. Only God makes things that are perfect!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
OH MY - Quilts are suppose to be perfect! I think there is a saying that every quilt is suppose to have at least one mistake.
Mine have more - he he he

Why limit yourself to one mistake? I believe in really keeping myself humble! LOL
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 AM

(Standing up.) "Hello, my name is Green Heron and I'm an addict."
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Think of it this way: all those beautiful fabrics on the shelf wrapped around the comic boards will look so much prettier in quilts or tablerunners. We all like to acquire quilt making supplies, but we need to enjoy creating with them and using those fabrics and objects.
I had a hard time cutting into all those beautiful fabrics at first but I got over it after the first quilt was finished then I couldn't wait to start another. Thats when the fabraholic in me was born.Finish a quilt then buy more fabric for more quilts Ohhh what a wonderful addiction its turned out to be
Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 AM

I feel exactly the same way. I have at least 25 quilt tops that I have done at the two quilt shops close to me as Saturday Samplers. I buy the finishing kits and backing but have only finished one and it's the very first one I did. I just don't finish things I start and I get really upset with myself. We should start a Quilters Finishing Support Group.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Why don't you try changing your way of thinking? Instead of thinking, "I'm going to make a quilt," think, "I'm going to make a practice quilt." Because perfection takes practice. You may never get there, but if you look at each quilt as a practice exercise, getting you closer to the goal of perfection, it might shake you out of being blocked.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:48 PM

quilting needs to be a bit social too, so enroll in a class or join a quild where there may be workshops offered, programs that inspire, and calls for charitable donations of lap quilts, etc. All will get you so busy!