Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • speed quilting >
  • speed quilting

• speed quilting

Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 PM

speed quilt when needed But usually putzing for me
    Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 AM

I have only worked alone and like you, I feel no need to finish anything on any time limit, except my own if the quilt is a gift. Other than that I just enjoy every aspect of the quilt making but in my own time.
    Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 AM

For me it depends on the situation. I am lucky enough to belong to a sewing group. We are just a bunch of friends that get together once a month for a sit n sew. We help each other with projects. We also make quilts for victims of disaster in our local area. That is when we do the "speed quilts". When our stash of quilts start to get a bit low we all chip in and make up quilts quickly. Either method it is nice to have someone there for help when needed.
    Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Like many others, I enjoy all phases of the process, from drawing my sketches, choosing fabrics, and even doing the math. Once I have my plan, I also enjoy deciding which method will get the piecing done the fastest and most efficiently use my time. Then I take FOREVER to decide how I want to quilt it. I love doing the binding, because it means I am done. While I have been heard to say, "Finishing is over-rated," I also believe "Finished is better than perfect." It just depends which frame of mind I am in that day. While I have been quilting long enough that my points match more often than not, and my seams are mostly consistent, I don't expect to ever be perfect, and fully subscribe to the 'galloping horse' concept.
    Long story short, I quilt the way I want to, and hope everyone else does it his own way, too. If you don't enjoy the journey, why go on the trip?
    Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Enjoyed this subject! I like every part of constructing a quilt. I'm always happy to see one finished!! So I can think of the next one,of course! I want my work to look good, but I'm still not a perfectionist. I stress the most over what to quilt in the blocks and borders once my top is done. I will force myself to try new things and to master them! I have learned I can truly do more than I thought. Practice and more practice. I get lots more done when I work alone and enjoy it the most, although I like to talk, too!!
    Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    ..., I like my blocks to be all the same size and sew together straight. It is wasn't pleasure for me, I wouldn't do it. It is the same for me with cooking and presenting a beautiful plate of food for my family, and caring for my garden so my roses bloom and my fruit trees give me beauitful lemons and apples.....Stop and smell the roses, for tomorrow you may not be able to...................
    Thanks for my first laugh of the day. I run my kitchen stove at top speed, can't wait to get out of there. Nothing more boring than cooking for me.
    I love all our differences!
    Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM

My daughter-in-law quilts and we regret we are 1,300 miles apart...we would LOVE to quilt together as would my friend 160 miles from me! I think it is wonderful bonding as I have NOBODY here NO car to get to my quilt guild meetings....I am so down over this!
    Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Someone explained it to me one time a long time ago. Some people are process people. They enjoy the whole journey of the experience. Others are product people and their sense of accomplishment is when it is done. They are the ones who time themselves to see if they can make this one faster than that one. These modes operate in all fields whether quilters or house painters. Me, I am a little of both. I enjoy the process but then after a while I am sick of the project hanging around and I just want to "git er done!" That's why my quilts do not have lovely borders. By the time I get to the borders I have no more patience left and just want to finish the ____thing!
    Old 10-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bjhumes
    My daughter-in-law quilts and we regret we are 1,300 miles apart...we would LOVE to quilt together as would my friend 160 miles from me! I think it is wonderful bonding as I have NOBODY here NO car to get to my quilt guild meetings....I am so down over this!
    I really can relate to a lot of what you are saying. My best friend is out in MO, and I'm in NY. Neither of us has much time to quilt, but if we were closer, we would make the time to hang together, unwind, and share our crafts. I don't have anyone here to share my love of quilting, and I have tried to get others to share my love, but it hasn't worked. I'm even willng to set them up with everything, and teach. No dice... I have a car, but don't really have time to spend hours out. Is there a solution? You bet!!!!.. Don't be down!!!! Mee up with your friend, and daughter inlaws as often asyou can, but there are wonderful friends you will meet on the QB, and you can spend days with everyone virtual quilting.. There are members that would love to share what is going on in your quilting life. I have a friend in MI that I have never met, but we exchange fabric, advise, and good will.. We have never met, but that hasn't stopped out friendship. We are able to laugh at the stupid things we do, etc.
    Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM

I agree "good topic"
    I find I will power down for two days on the current project from early am to late evening, after the second day I have to walk away for four days, go back power down for two days, I seem to work in fits and starts..
    I am planning which is going to be my next project, (I have many clogging my brain..) even before I get the binding on the current project. I don't think I can allow myself to have more than one quilt going at a time, I have a lady neighbor who could have several various projects in various stages of completion, I personally couldn't do that, one up one down...
    as far as speed quilting... not me, I am slow and deliberate, I suppose it comes with the territory as a new quilter. I think I would love to find a quilt group join. Maybe one of theses days...
    i my favorite part of the quilting process is the designing and planing. I love to watch the idea in your head become the reality in your hands.