Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart? >

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately my local Wal-Mart stores do not carry fabrics, but I'm hoping that they bring fabrics back some time soon. Wherever you buy fabric you need to examine it to be sure it is of good quality. A friend of mine used to work as the manager of the fabric section in a local Wal-Mart. She told me that Wal-Mart bought from the same companies that supplied quilt stores, but because they bought in such huge quantities, they were able to sell it at a lower price. I was always told to buy the best quality fabric that you could afford, and that is what I do. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM

These comments are spot on. Depends on what you're making and your budget. Walmart now offers difference price points and quality; some of the 100% cotton quilting fabric is as low as $2.97 a yard; a great value and the variety is very nice. And they now have some at $7.97 a yard which they did not have at my Walmart before. Just like shopping for fabric anywhere; feel it, hold it up to the light, consider your project and buy accordingly.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Our local (rural) Wal Mart always had fabric, and now have some some in the $7.95 yard range that is just great, soft, thick and tightly woven, and they have a lot of nice material that is not as expensive. If sewing/quilting for show or heirloom, would just be careful. Have some material I got for $1.00 a yard, made a chair cover and 6-8 years ago and many 100's of washings later, they get washed at least 1-2 a week as dogs make a mess of them, the material, not cotton I am sure, but cotton poly is great.Luckly I bought enough to make two new ones soon, and they will last for as many years. Just feel fabric and see what it feels like. I have ordered some material and it is thinner than I would like (pannels) so I will put iron on interfacing behind and use that way. As someone one said, years ago they used what they had and made do. A lesson many would do well to remember today.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 AM

If things don't improve, I'd consider going up a notch in management. Walmart wants to make a profit and finding out a particular store's fabric department is "deliberately" being underused would make heads roll . . . or at least "scolded".

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I buy fabric that I like where ever I find it. I have been sewing long enough to know my fabrics and I inspect it good before I buy from anywhere except that I order. I have found a lot of good fabric at Walmart, however They have some that I would not buy. I picked up some last week that was so pretty but the weave was so loose that you could see light through it. I did not buy it. At the one I use there is never anyone there to cut so last week I found a store manager and filed a complaint. That store was one that fought bringing fabric back. I ask him how the fabric was chosen for each store and he said the manager for fabric and crafts department chose the fabric. She does not have the best of taste in quilting fabrics but has a lot of good fabric for children. I told him I knew they did not want the fabric department but if they have it they need someone to cut it. I have seen people that had to wait so long they put it back and left. I think they want that so they can say they do not sell enough to keep it.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 AM

I am in the group that buys what I like no matter where I find it. My rules for buying fabric do not vary regardless of where I am shopping: good hand, not thin, colors I enjoy working with (or something I need for a project) and a print where the prints "look right". I made an exception for some Curious George fabric -- it was thinner than I like and it I put any pressure on an edge it rips like paper (since it was for an I Spy quilt, I ironed on a light weight interfacing to the back). I find that a lot of the character fabric DGS love is not the quality I like to work with so I hold my nose, buy it and make it work.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Check it out and see if you feel OK about the quality. I have used some and found it longer lasting them some LQS fabrics. there is some I put into the trash as it was cheese cloth. Now with prices gone up and quality down at LQS I have bought Walmart if I liked it. I use it for all kinds of quilts except special ones. I rather buy Walmart or older previously bought fabric then stop quilting.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Most of the fabric I buy comes from Wal-Mart (12 miles away instead of closest JoAnns (35 miles away). They are so much closer and so much cheaper. I have not had any quality issues. I use the budget sheets for my backing, and sometimes for the solid colors. Great price for the yard, and a great price per project.
Phyllis
Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM

I purchased some fabric yesterday from Walmart; the only issue I had was after I washed it - - it became kind of torn on the ends
Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
They have some pretty patterns, just wondering what the quality is like. Has anyone used theirs?
I bought several yards of fabric at WalMart last week for $7.99 a yard. I had seen exactly the same licensed fabric at two different quilt shops in the area for for more than $10 a yard. The fabric I bought was not produced for WalMart, as so many people on this board seem to believe. I have spoken with representatives from several fabric makers and all have assured me that they could not afford to make one batch of fabric for WalMart and another batch for everybody else. They also have said they are amazed by what people say that is 100 percent wrong about fabric makers.

The first quilts I made more than 30 years ago were made with WalMart/ClothWorld/variety store fabric of the cotton/polyester variety. They have been laundered dozens of times and are still as bright as when they were new. The bindings are beginning to show some wear, but that would be the case with any other quilt used as hard they have been.

Buyers have to know how fabric ought to feel--it's called "hand." If a fabric has a good hand, it doesn't matter where you get it.

Now, here is what I am amazed about: Quilters who are beyond thrilled when they find fabric at a garage sale, estate sale or thrift store and trumpet their great find but who are reluctant to buy WalMart, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby etc., fabrics. froggyintexas
Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 AM

::::: standing and clapping, for FroggyinTexas ::::::

AMEN! You can find "the best" quality at a LQS, Joann's, Hobby Lobby. . . or even WalMart. You can also find poor quality at WalMart, Hobby Lobby, Joann's . . . or even a LQS! You just have to know how to tell the difference between good and bad. That old saying, "You get what you pay for," is not only grammatically incorrect, it's also not always true!