Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Isn't that something? Quilters are people, too, so stuff like this will happen.

You're right not to give up on guilds completely; sometimes you really do have to shop around for a group that is right for you. Good luck!
Not only that, but also it takes time to know the members (both individually and as a group) and for them to know YOU.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I belonged to a guild for a few years and thoroughly enjoyed it UNTIL a person joined and wanted to constantly stir the pot. Talk about this one and that one, argue during discussions, etc. If I wanted to fight, I would have joined a boxing club. Until that time I loved the guild.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 AM

When I first joined the QB, one of the members very graciously invited me to join our local guild but I chickened out, worrying about the aforementioned issues of cliquishness.

I'm also not that good at it-it's just something I love to do

The QB is enough for me
Old 05-29-2015, 11:36 AM

I found guilds to get too political so quit joining them. Also it seems at least the one I was associated with that only a few would do all the work keeping it going while others just showed up and reaped the benefits. Now I just search for people with the same interests that want to get together and do what we enjoy.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:15 PM

I miss attending my guilds. I had just joined a 2nd guild because I relocated 35 miles east. I planned to participate in both because the first guild was located near my place of employment. Well...I unexpectedly took temporary custody of three children to keep them out of foster care. The youngest is two. Try plunking a neglected two year old in a stranger's home. I was in position that I could take immediate retirement so that was fortunate, but I am too busy to quilt or go to guild. Hopefully things will resolve this summer but this has given me a whole new perspective on people who join a group and then don't participate. We never know what is going on in someone's life.

Last edited by Pagzz; 05-29-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 PM

I am the original poster. Just wanted to update you guys with what happened.

I sent the president an email addressing the issues that I felt effected me. Although a very sweet lady, she's a bit naive and walks around with blinders on. I let her know that at this moment in my life, i don't feel that the guild is the best thing for me. I had back surgery almost 3 weeks ago and I need to stay positive to heal properly. Her response to the drama I brought up was met with " what are you talking about. There's no drama."

Just FYI, I'm not being a spoiled brat because the guild isn't focused on me. I am not the only member either leaving the guild or taking a hiatus. A couple are going to the june meeting to see how the drama that is currently going on has settled. I support my friends in whatever they decide. I just know that this particular guild is not what I need right now in my life.

There are a few other guilds within an hours drive from me. I may guild hop for a bit to see if I can find a group I fit in.

The guild I just left is very small. Before I left it had 23 members. So if a rumor or statement is made, it spreads like wildfire.

I really appreciate all of the response. It encourages me to get out and visit other guilds with friends and by myself.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:44 PM

I thought that I would enjoy being in a Guild when I retired, and was so excited to attend my first meeting. I went with great expectations and was sadly disappointed. I signed in a guest, and went to sit down for the meeting. They had a great speaker and I enjoyed that as well. However, no one said one word to me. I tried to start up a conversation or two, but just did not feel comfortable! I went for several months, but just never felt welcome. That was the extent of my Guild experience. I live in a fairly small area, and there is one more Guild 15 miles away, but after this experience, I never ventured out to the other guild. It is at night also, and I don't like to drive at night.