Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 AM

Keep going until you find the ONE. It's only taken me 38 years. I love the group I belong to now. I belonged to one a few years ago and it was nice but it was a small group and everyone already knew one another and I just got in over my head. So I got frustrated. Now things are going wonderfully well. This group provideds you with a mentor to help you navigate the waters and that is so nice.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 AM

When I was newer to quilting, I joined a guild. I was looking for a quilting group, not a guild, so when I realized my mistake, I just quietly walked away. I have nothing against guilds, but I was looking for a group to enjoy working with, not have meetings with. My income does not allow me to pay just to attend meetings. To those who enjoy the guild programs, enjoy. They are just not what I am interested in.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Well, I am surprised by some of the replies! I have belong to a local huge guild for over 20 years, a small guild for about 12 years and a little guild for 10 years and about 5 bee size groups. They each have their own personalities and benefits, but they are all nice ladies who are very welcoming. We all work on what we want and try hard not to let our own likes or dislikes of quilts or quilting styles influence the others. I can not imagine a group that you have to 'audition' for by making a quilt to be judged to determine if you get in or not! LOL!

As far as I am concerned, belonging to a guild is an enormous positive! The speakers and the workshops absolutely make it worthwhile! We keep administrative meeting to a minimum and it is very rare that there is enough discussion to lose interest in what is going on and everyone is kind and polite!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
I belong to guilds in both of my states (I winter in FL), but for fun, the best group are the ladies that sew at the senior center. We meet every week. We have no officers, no fees, no organization, but enjoy each other's company, share our projects and help each other. They are the BEST and most fun ladies.
You found the group I am looking for. I wish it weren't so far to walk! Lol! (I no longer drive)
Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM

I joined for friendship with others who enjoy quilting.
I would quit going if the ladies were nasty. But they aren't!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:07 PM

just joined a guild for the first time and attended my first meeting. It's motivating to be around other quilters (especially when most have had much more experience than myself). It seems our guild participates in community projects and also has workshops and guest speakers. I am looking forward to the camaraderie and sharing ideas.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 PM

I live in a mostly rural area and joined my Guild in order to take the beginner classes they offer yearly. That was about 6 years ago and while the first few months felt like jr. high being the "newbie", I've gotten very involved and love it! We meet monthly, always have a program (either a member doing one or an outside presenter) do workshops about once a month (the big discussion when I first joined was whether to have the workshops on Sat so the working members could attend--we have both a day and an evening meeting). We are a fairly large group, and as someone else said, there is always a bit of cliqueyness. But really, with that large of group, what it boils down to is groups that are friends and hang together because they are friends outside of Guild, too. (having spent 27 yr as a middle school educator, I KNOW cliques!) And we are all friendly with one another and supportive of each others quilting tastes and work. I also belong to a long arm quild that only meets quarterly or national teachers. It's good too, but really isn't as fun as the other Guild.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 PM

What made me join a guild. Good question.

I retired after working in IT for 20 years, moved to SC. I knew no one, spent my first 2.5 years here intentionally being a hermit. It took me that long to unwind from the 20 years of days so long and filled with work, then home to family, then back to work. Don't get me wrong on this, I love my family very much and regret nothing, and I actually was one of the lucky few who loved my job - if I had been able to work 40 - 50 hour weeks instead of the 60 - 80 hour weeks that I put in, I'd probably still be working. I was burned out and just needed a long break.

It was such a pleasure to have no commitments to anyone - exception for grandchildren, of course - I couldn't even commit myself to going grocery shopping until it was a dire necessity!

Then, as happens, I decided that I had to be a grown up again. So I joined 2 guilds and started doing volunteer work once a week. The guilds are very different. One is small and more socially oriented, the other is larger and has a personality somewhat like mine - a bunch of slightly driven people who organize the talent and get lots of lessons and projects done, lots of charity and QOV quilts.

It took me a while to feel really comfortable in the guilds, but that wasn't because the members of the guilds were snooty or "cliqued up". It just takes ME a while to warm up in new situations.

The only thing that would make me quit either of the guilds - won't know until it happens.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:24 PM

Isn't that something? Quilters are people, too, so stuff like this will happen.

You're right not to give up on guilds completely; sometimes you really do have to shop around for a group that is right for you. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:48 AM

I joined my guild to learn new skills and techniques in a casual setting. We are a group of about 55 that meets once a month but seldom are all in attendance. We have many "snow birds" who go south for the winter. The skill level of the group is beginner to expert and we work strategically to not focus on only higher level skills or only beginner skills. We have a number of group projects that are always optional each year: mystery quilt, Farmer's Wife quilt, donation quilt, exchange block quilt and a "quilt along" that lasts for a 10/11 months. Over time we have found that several small subgroups have developed organically. As we get to know one another, we find others who are interested in paper piecing, quilts of valor, long arm quilting, hand quilting, bags and purses. These small groups meet informally as they choose and folks come and go from the groups as they choose.

We hold to retreats that are the BEST! We spend two and a half days sewing, helping each other, encouraging each other and just laughing and spending time working on our joy and passion, quilts.

What would make me leave? If we get too big and lose the close friendship feeling of the group, have demands on production of work or unasked for critique of our work.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-29-2015 at 02:51 AM. Reason: additional thoughts