Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilds >

Guilds

Guilds

Old 05-28-2015, 03:50 AM

I belong to guilds in both of my states (I winter in FL), but for fun, the best group are the ladies that sew at the senior center. We meet every week. We have no officers, no fees, no organization, but enjoy each other's company, share our projects and help each other. They are the BEST and most fun ladies.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 AM

I currently belong to one guild. I have belonged to three but dropped two. I was involved with all three of the guilds but did not feel like I belonged to the two. The third guild I have been a member for 11 years and even with the clicks that I am not a part of everyone makes you feel welcomed. I am moving and I have to say I will miss the guild, but hope to keep in touch with them through facebook.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:15 AM

Default Guild participation

When I moved to South Dakota several years ago, I knew no one. I went to the BHQG quilt show and met many nice quilters. I joined the guild thinking that I would go once in awhile. Well 5 years later and I can't wait for Tuesdays to attend the guild meetings. We do a lot of charity work and the ladies in the guild are soooo very helpful. The guild also has a library which means I don't have to go and buy so many books. I have learned so much from them and have expanded my own quilting skills. The many friends I have made make joining the guild priceless!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:38 AM

When I first started quilting, I was like you as far as finding myself in a guild that was so much more drama that I wanted or needed. I would say step back (summer is coming, so this is a good time to step away without it being a big deal), start asking questions at your LQS. Again a wealth of information will come from these quilters, ask what guilds are around and if they have had any personal interaction with any of them? I too was younger so I used this as the reason I was asking, said I wanted to see if I fit in better with another group (I said nothing about the drama, but the ladies I talked with knew what was going on - again quilters talk), I went as a guest to a couple different meetings at a couple different groups. I found what I was looking for, ended up being involved in 3 different guilds after that - lol. And these groups where ALL drama free. Good luck
Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 AM

I tried several guilds and really enjoyed and learned a lot from one eventually it changed to much as new people came in they joined together with an art guild and I do enjoy good art to look at but do not enjoy sitting in a meeting discussing a canvas my thoughts; nothing wrong with either group but because the leaders were friends they joined since then I decided I would rather sew so I joined a group that meets once a month to sew much more enjoyable for me
Old 05-28-2015, 05:23 AM

I belong to two clubs. One has a meeting once a month during which we sit an haggle about small stuff for an hour and a half and the same people run everything anyhow. Every meeting has a program by one of the members, and we do show and tell (but it's mostly show, not too much tell). We do have a very nice small quilt show.
The other club has almost no structure; the founding ladies run things and we have very short meetings only a few times a year. Everyone brings their sewing machine - knitting - garment sewing - whatever, and sometimes we stay there until midnight - 3:00 AM - 5:00 AM. People come and go as they wish. Last one out lock the door. We have a beautiful quilt show attended by many and have many vendors.
Which one would you rather go to? I stick it out for both.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 AM

I joined a guild 20 years ago because I wanted to learn to quilt. At that time the classes were great, but leadership was snooty and very unwelcoming. I stayed in and finally made a few friends. Several years ago I started realizing how much I did not enjoy the group. I'm one of the last original members and the new leadership group is not very good. Always complain about no help, but when you do it's their way or else. Very cliquey and boring meetings and so on. They never listen to what the membership wants, then are offended when attendance is poor or when people try to offer suggestions. I tried getting more involved and was even an officer, but was so frustrated that I rarely attend now. Can't believe this, but next year I've decided not to renew my membership. I doubt I will even miss it. I feel like I tried my best to make a difference so now I can walk away without feeling guilty or sad.

I also recently joined a small charity quilt group which meets weekly in a local church. There are about 10 regular attendees with no dues, business meetings and so on. I love it. Eveyone is friendly and encouraging. If you miss a week you usually get a call or email that you were missed. There is none of the one upmanship or bragging the other guild was known for. Bottom line this group is what I think a quilt guild is supposed to be. I'm once again excited for the meeting and have made lifelong friends who share my love of quilting.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 AM

Our guild has been having trouble with one member who has been bullying members (including me) for the past few years causing members to quit the guild. I too was contemplating quitting (I've been a member 12 years and served on the board for 11 years). Well I got together with the guild's president (I'm the past president) about this issue along with a few other members and she announced at one of the guild's meetings without naming names that this bullying will no longer be tolerated. If members can't be civil to one another they will be asked to leave the guild. Things are getting better and the person/persons know that we are going to keep an eye on them and won't tolerate their bullying any more. We don't want any more members quitting because of them.

Originally Posted by ocydroma View Post
I joined a guild to learn more about quilting. I am a raw newbie. I wanted to learn tips, techniques, history. I want to do something that gave back to the community. I wanted to be with like minded people and have fun and make new friends.

The reason I asked this question is to see what people look for in a guild. As far as what would make you leave a guild, I am leaving the guild I have been a member of for 1 year. Not much has been done as far as charities go and this year has been nothing but middle school teenage girl drama. People bad mouthing other people. Going behind people's back to benefit themselves and so on. I'm the youngest member and I'll be 47 this year. I can not believe the immaturity of this group of "girls".

So as of right now I am jaded. I may take a couple months to find and visit other guilds to see what they are like. I realize anytime you put several females together in a room issues will arise but when it comes to the point of harassment, I'm done! I was hoping the drama would subside but it's just escalating.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 AM

I belonged to a wonderful one in Md that met at night. When I moved to Phoenix I have a good friend that belongs to several groups. She knows me well and recommended 2 different ones.

One is a traditional guild that meets at night and full of fabulous people. It has close to 100 members. I know there is some drama there but I am not a part of it. One lady started tell me something about someone and I nicely told her I do not do gossip. She took it very well and I do like her. They meet twice a week and also have sewing days twice month.

My other group is pure charity sponsored by a church. They have 2 meetings---one at night and one during the day. Love these ladies also. They meet twice a month.

Both these groups add alot of joy to quilting for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Joined a guild and love it, we meet once a month and share what we have been working on and new ideas. We also have a lesson done by one of the members and learn different things, sometimes it is in another medium besides quilting. This makes it more interesting.