Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017 >

Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017

Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017

Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579925[/ATTACH]Here's what I'm working on. The Summer Picnic block of the week. There are places in this one that are CORRECT! I think I'm catching on, but still find that I hurry too much and distort blocks with my pressing. Still have one block to make: Broken dishes. Sashing is coming along.
Attached Thumbnails 20170902_081820_resized.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 09:44 AM

OK...so, here is the, "Dwight the Deer," pillow cover that I'm working on.

I wanted to try some techniques that I haven't done before, so, I'm doing a little experimenting. On this one, I tried cutting away the batting to remove the bulk of the quilt for FMQ. This is just a little quilt, so I didn't actually quilt it yet. I just did the cutting of the batting and then put it back together with iron-on interfacing to see how that looks. I know...for some of you, this is old hat, but it was news to me. I folded back the top and the back and made a curvy cut across the width of the batting only. It's curvy because I don't want an obvious seam, or fold later on in the quilt. (At this point, I would normally remove the cut piece of batting, put it aside and start quilting "Dwight." But I skipped this step because I just wanted to see how the cut batting would look when put back together.) Then, I cut 2.5" strips of featherweight, iron-on interfacing and pressed each strip on to an area of the cut to piece the batting halves back together. I did both sides of the batting with the interfacing. The batting feels good, not to bulky, or heavy. I haven't tried to quilt through it yet, but I think it will be fine.

~ Cindy
Attached Thumbnails deer.jpg   batting-cut.jpg   sheer-weight-interfacing.jpg   pressing-interfacing.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 AM

Stalled! Sidetracked! I needed to do a little cleaning before my friend came over and my vacuum cleaner brushes wouldn't rotate. Grrr! I cleaned the brushes the other day and must have broken the belt. I did have a nice visit with my friend though!

Time for a quick lunch and then I'm heading to my sewing room.

I love looking and reading about everyone's progress.

Connie
Old 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM

I am finishing up a quilt of valor-just need to bind. In addition, I have cut out enough fabric for 6 kennel quilts for the pet shelters in Texas and Louisiana. I'll post pix on Monday.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Battle Axe...very nice quilt!
Thimblebug...Love the hexies, the color, and your big stitch quilting! It's my preferred quilting method lately.
Here's what's on my design wall. My daughter saw a picture on Pinterest and asked me to make one similar. No pattern and none of the squares are the same size. I am sewing it together in sections and adding checkerboards, strips, etc to fill out each section so that it will fit with the others. A challenge and outside my normal style, but it is coming along...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579954[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attalie-progress.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 11:47 AM

Here's my other project that I'm working on this weekend. It's a very simple charity quilt, with four, multi-colored, 4" squares making up each block. I'm using a 4" wide, white sashing between each block, 3 blocks across and 4 blocks long and a white border all around. I've made all of the blocks and added the white sashing to each row. Again, I want to try some new techniques for quilting using the QAYG method and then putting the parts together to form a quilt. I don't know what method I'm going to use yet to join the 4 rows together.

I'm not so sure how far I'll get today. It's 100+ degrees outside and I'm working up in the loft. It's gotta be 115-120 up here. I may go down stairs and play my fiddle for awhile instead.
Attached Thumbnails charity-quilt-pcs1.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Oh my! You all have been very busy while I had to spend some time shopping with DH.

Got up early and got the rest of the blocks assembled. Will start putting them together this afternoon.

When I started figuring yardage for this, I was going to go with all 1" finished squares, so I figured with 6 colors, I needed 6 sets for each. But then I got the idea to go with a curved look, so changed the squares to go from 1" to 2.5" size, which changed the blocks from 9" to about 16". End result, I needed half of what I originally figured.

But I forgot that part and cut and sewed 6 sets of 6. And it was not until I got to burgundy that I started thinking I had something not quite right. When I got it figured out, I decided to finish up cutting so I have enough for two quilts.

this is the second stack, I set these out and verified everything along with the first set so they'll go much faster when (if) I decided to make the second one.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:34 PM

Lots of cool stuff being worked on! Faintly Artistic-- I like that, it may be outside your comfort zone, but it sure looks like you've got it figured out--great layout!

I've finished the first task I had planned for VQW- getting the August columns put on my temperature quilt. Now I need to do some unquilting in a small section of the piece I was working on last month during VQW, and begin adding the hand beading. Hopefully I can get the undoing and re-quilting done this evening which will leave tomorrow for hand beading and maybe binding if I can get enough done. That leaves Monday for putting hanging sleeves on the other collaborative pieces. Still haven't decided which of my UFOs I will try to finish for September....

Oh, here's a pic of the temp quilt with Jan. through Aug. daily highs and lows.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_1423.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Here is my progress so far on my friend's quilt. Just need to attach the borders, then I'll have to get together with her, so she can decide on the outer section (she wants it square).

Two Terminators worth of effort so far, and #3 should finish it off tonight or tomorrow. (I always quilt with a movie playing, for background noise. Today it's the "Terminator" franchise. Two movies down, 3 to go, but I won't need that many to finish this quilt).

This quilt is "Diamonds Inside" from "Diamond Chain Quilts" by Barbara Cline. I taught a class a few years ago - that's when my friend started her quilt. She asked for help getting unstuck/finished, so here I am.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579962[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p9021142.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Hi Everyone! My DH took our son to a baseball game in San Francisco, so I have 2 days all to myself!

My main plan is to quilt several tops. I'm working on this one right now and hope you to another loaded tonight and done tomorrow. I need to catch up!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579965[/ATTACH]

But...I might cave and do a little piecing! The 'Rainbow Scrap Challenge' color (here) this month is orange. I've been using this challenge to sew up my colored crumbs and sewing these blocks each month. I have the crumbs put together for several months, but not

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579966[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170902_130611-small.jpg   2017-03-12-002-small.jpg