Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you consider a panel to be a "cheater quilt"? >

Do you consider a panel to be a "cheater quilt"?

Do you consider a panel to be a "cheater quilt"?

Old 06-30-2018, 08:15 PM

I bought a cute blue snoopy fabric with a yellow dotted line crosshatching on it. I used it as a "cheater" and just quilted on the dotted line for a baby quilt as a gift. The mother found me 15 years later and ask if I could make her another one. Her children dragged it around every day until it was in tatters and now it is lost, could I make an exact another one for her latest baby? I felt bad because the fabric was out of print, but happy that she so treasured a "cheater" quilt. There are all kinds of wonderful people in this world, don't waste your time on the nasty ones.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

I’m one of those people who Cringe when I hear that horrible, negative term ( cheater).
panels are simply a printed fabric with a large design. I have used many fabulous panels over the years. There was no ( cheating) I still put many hours and creativity into creating the quilt. The panel was just a focus to start with like buying any other focus fabric.
I don’t understand why that would be considered ( cheating)
Attached Thumbnails f2c544f1-b3c6-41f8-a4e0-bb73cfda2017.jpeg  

Last edited by ckcowl; 07-01-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:44 PM

I can't add anything to this discussion that hasn't already been said, but to say that I recently came across a very pretty quilt pattern on one of the popular sites with free patterns - sorry I can't think which. It appeared to be made with small trip around the world blocks set with sashing and cornerstones. I was delighted to read the pattern and find they'd used "cheater" fabric, because postage stamp piecing is not something I'd want to do. Sadly, the print had been discontinued by the time I found the pattern. I have used panels a few times and would not mind cheater cloth, either, if the outcome looked good. I think your friend didn't necessarily mean her comment to be negative, but I do think she's misinformed about what's what.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 AM

Well, I'm about to make myself a bed quilt starting with a panel for the center, so join me up to "Cheaters Anonymous" LOL. Where's my membership card??
Old 07-03-2018, 06:35 AM

You are correct and don't need to change your thinking. Maybe the other quilter just couldn't think of the word "panel" at the time. I know as I get older, I sometimes can't think of the word I am really wanting to use and another word will slip in.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 AM

I, for one, do NOT like the term "cheater" quilt. Who knows why such or such a person chose to do a quilt like that? Lack of money? Working alone without advice? working under a deadline? If a quilt pleases the maker or recipient, wonderful! Some people cannot leave well enough alone and they open their mouths before they put their brains in gear! IMHO.