Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the oddest gift you received this year? >
  • What is the oddest gift you received this year?

• What is the oddest gift you received this year?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
    Power Poster

I love your stick.....I want one!!!
    Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 PM
    Power Poster

What a great gift Pzazz
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by earlylace
    I mean't fart thing :oops:
    I guess that's why it had an "uptight" fart in the selection...for those church women that would be :oops:
    by this gift.
    Some reactions would be:shock:
    but when nobody is looking, they'd all be :lol:
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    I didn't receive it, my DIL did, 4 cross stitched cat's heads and a holder shaped like a cat's body made from plastic mesh and yarn, a coaster set. It is bright yellow and reminds me of something from years ago.
    She was very gracious and said "oh look, coasters" and acted like she was very happy to get them. My other DIL was about ready to burst, she tried not to laugh out loud. It was a gag gift, last year the couple received a latch hook kit that my son and DIL found in the back corner of the old house they had bought.
    I think it will now be a battle of which couple can find the ugliest gift for the other. It was very funny.
    That's it...I'm gonna tell my girls that we are starting a gag gift thingy.
    I think DH has laughed more at his FLARP in the past four days, than he has laughed in six months!:lol:
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
    Originally Posted by Justok
    here in montana we do a lot of hunting and guns (yuck, I hate guns) are common things for men here to collect and trade. So one year his daughter who was about 40 yrs. old was collecting Barbie Dolls, so her father gave her a Barbie doll and a hand gun (because she lives alone and wanted her to be safe) I thought that was funny and strange. Men, can't figure them out sometimes.
    This sounds like MY childhood... a doll in one gift...and a set of tools in another... I loved it :D:D:D LMBO
    My six year old granddaughter, who is about as feminine as they come, asked for and got a set of tools just like her daddy's.
    Real tools, with a case and a tool apron. She loves it. Was I ever surprised.
    She loves dressing up, "decorating herself" as she calls lip gloss, and she sits with her hands and her legs crossed, but I guess she intends to keep up with the boys in all the important ways.:wink:
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Originally Posted by bebe
    Should I tell her how I feel????
    I would put the gown on over my own clothes. Unless she is blind, you should not have to "say" anything.

If she still doesn't get it. all bets would be off. Depending on how big or how ludicrous/hideous the thing is you can make some off-handed comment that it would come in handy for a couch cover, chair cover, hot-air balloon bag, summer tent - take your pick, because OBVIOUSLY, it does not fit YOU!
    Maybe make something else with the fabric? like a huge pillow and have it on the couch when she comes over.
    "Look, ain't it great? Since it was WAY too big for me, I didn't want it to go to waste...":twisted:
    (It's your gift to do with what you will, after all.)
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Oh yeah Bebe.....a quilt made of those "delightful" mumus! I haven't seen one in years! I remember when they were "in" and Mom got one somewhere. I think she wore it once. Where in the world would one buy a Mumu now??? Other than your local thrift store that is??? :lol: :lol:

Luckily, I didn't get the weird gift. Mom and I used to pass a box back and forth. It was a really old gift box from one of the bigger department stores. Our "special" gift was always in that box. I don't know what happened to it after she passed away, but it was a lot of fun...we always looked forward to "the box"! That poor thing was held together with soo much tape that you could barely see the picture that the box once had on it. :-D
    What a special memory, Patti.
    I want a special tradition like that...that's priceless.:-D
    Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 AM

It wasn't totally odd, but my sister gave me a Stokes Select Tractor Cob Feeder. You screw it into a tree or post and it is in the shape of a tractor. You put two corn cobs on it (screw them in) and watch the squirrels go nuts!!!!!!!! It'll be fun to put out front so I can watch them through the window while I am sewing. It is a fantastic gift and I just love it. Edie
    Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM

not sure any of mine were odd.
    Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by vangel34

I have two really odd ones from previous years. One year (before I started sewing) we really needed an ironing board and hubby bought me one for Christmas and wrapped it, I was looking at it next to the tree and I turned to him and asked "did you get me an ironing board?", lol. He was still learning how to be a good hubby and didn't realize that it shouldn't have been considered a gift.

This made me giggle, because I asked for an ironing board this year! And got it! I asked my mother becasue she also quilts and understood that mine was horrid and I wanted it for quilting, not ironing clothes. I was all excited to see it!