I do have a problem!!!

I do have a problem!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
pal

Billy, your wife has worked every day since you were

married 26 years ago!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

Truth be known she put in way more hours than I ever did before I left the corporate world.

Billy
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM

I think most quilter's have the same problem. I have filled two rooms with material but still bought over $100 yesterday. My husband gave me a quilting gift certificate (still have some of it left and my sister-in-law gave me another one that's burning a hole in my pocket). I have no idea what I will do with all the material and I don't really concentrate on it. It took me a long time to figure out that with most things in life, it's not the destination but the journey, that's satifying. My journey just includes a lot of fabric stores; don't know if I'll ever reach the destination of getting all the quilts made, but I'll enjoy the ride.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Oh what a terrific gift! The fun you will have with that! :thumbup:
Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Charity Quilter
I am with you Diannemc. My hubby is always warning me to watch what I spend on fabric.

But.......the thought of passing up fabric at a fabric store is unthinkable. I too hit the 75% off christmas fabric sale her in S.C.

I have a habit........It's not smoking. It's not drinking and it's not drugs....but I am addicted to fabric! At least it is not a bad vice huh?
Since I spend my own money on fabric, I'm the only one I have to answer to...but I'd also have a time passing up a sale like that!

A fabric addiction, in my mind, is healthier than smoking, drinking, or drugs, and what is created from all that eye candy can either keep yourself warm or a luck recipient. Mmmmmm!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 PM

I know the feeling,every time I go into HANCOCKS, in
atown close, they are having some kind of SALE. There
is always fabric I don't need that goes home with me.

Marilyn
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM

I do it too.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by QBeth
Way to go, Billy! What's being discussed here is a stress sandwich. Guilt over spending too much, stress over hiding it, stress about telling the spouse, stressing over (maybe) having an addiction, on and on and on!
This may be a bit harsh, I apologize in advance, I am not looking to make anyone feel badly.

I actually had to get up, and walk away from this thread, and greet my husband at the door, to tell him I loved him.

I work, he works. However he out-earns me by more than double my income, so the big bills, the 'real' ones, are his.

If you do NOT work outside the home, consider the cost he would have for a maid service, a laundry service and a meal service. You do thousands of unpaid jobs that he couldn't hire someone to do, therefore you are JUST as deserving of some of the money he brings home, because you make it possible for him to go to work every day and come home to a home that is warm, clean and safe.

Unless I am planning on spending more than $500 of MY MONEY, I feel it is not a bit of his business. He is of the same feeling. I don't want to know about every car part he thinks he can't LIVE WITHOUT (but I hear about it anyway, lol) and he really doesn't get the same level of excitement over my finding 5 fabrics that look cool together.

I inherited $1000 from my Nana and because "I" decided I wanted to put it toward a $1300 machine, we talked. I didn't ask his permission.

It hurts, physically hurts my heart, to hear that one grown adult feels the true need to hide $30 of spending for something that makes her happy from another grown adult who is supposed to be a partner, not a parent or a jailer.

I also think we may toss about the word "addiction" lightly, when really we are not talking about something destructive; we use it for its drama, for its heightened sense of meaning, but I don't think most of us are discussing an actual addiction, just a pleasure, a hobby, an avocation.

I'm sorry if I've offended, but it is one of my pet peeves.(Don't get me started on men being asked to babysit their own children!!)
OK, I feel better already. It's been said. I'm with you.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:19 AM

I solved my problem with DH's reminding me about spending. I took one day and made a list of all the things I have made and their retail cost. I make clothes, bathing suits, home dec, quilts and presents. When he saw the list and the total, he was amazed. He'd never thot of it that way and I never heard another word about what I spent on sewing including machines.

I also made lists of what he and the four boys spent on their "toys". Cars were their thing and then motorcycles for racing. Our DH's just don't see the big picture till you put it in dollars and sense. Marion
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 AM
KR

Gee, no one else has ever done that, right? Yeah, RIGHT!!!! When that happens to me I remember what someone once told me.....it's more feminine to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Enjoy your new "stash!"