Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Washed new quilt and am disappointed >

Washed new quilt and am disappointed

Washed new quilt and am disappointed

Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM

This is a real shame, after all that hard work. The quilt itself is adorable so I hope you can get a fix for it. I myself have never had any problem with the batting but I have only used the Warm & Natural & right now I am going to use the bamboo batting.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM

What is bearding?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Karen's Kreations
I don't usually prewash my fabric or batting. I use all cotton batting so when it's done & I wash it everything shrinks the same. So far I haven't had any problems.
I very very rarely wash my fabric before making a quilt. I only use warm & natural 100% cotton batting, and sometimes only quilt lighlty, and have never had a quilt shrink up unevenly. Yes one does have to make the quilt a smidge bigger to make up for the slight shrinkage, but I personally like the look in the end. Each of us have different views and ideas and that is a good thing for all of us.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:22 PM

I, too, am sorry for your pain. I know, now, though, why my grandmother's quilts all had a rumpled look. She washed just about every thing in her house every week, quilts included. They were rumpled, but her kids still fought over them when it came to dividing up her stuff. I was just a kid, and it was a sad thing for me. If you don't give it away, it can become a part of you life's work that you have kept, and your kids will treasure it.
Theresa
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Wow! I haven't seen any batting shrinking unevenly like that. Maybe try pressing it with a steam iron? You can just try it...nothing to lose!!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
What is bearding?
When little whisps of the batting come up through the weave of the fabric. It won't happen if you use a needled cotton batting and quilt it as per instructions for maximum distance between quilting lines.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM

How dissappointing for you.

If you have the packaging, re-read it and then you can see where you may have gone wrong. Otherwise, re-wet it and lay out as previously noted to dry strtching gently into shape.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 PM

you can wash the batten first follow th edirections on th ebag to wash it or soak it and let it drip dry . always pre wash your fabric and iron it and your batten too. i use the low loft 100% cotten batten in my quilts and pre wash it on gentil cycle i have a front loader washer so it really spinks it almost dry . and then i hang it out on th eline to air dry. and pined now to streach out of shape.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 PM

wool is a very luxurious batting but it does need special care, so it probably isn't the best choice for a baby. it will probably keep shrinking a little more each time it gets washed for a couple more washings, and if the parents aren't 'too careful, if you know what i mean', they'll put it into the dryer, too. myself, i would take the time to unsew, and i would replace the batting with polyester, a better choice for babies. AND i would keep the good stuff for a nice lap quilt for me.

it's a lovely quilt and such a heartache when something like that happens. so sorry.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM

I've not had this problem with any of my quilts, however I've heard of people "blocking" thier quilts after washing to square them up again. Not sure how to do it, just heard of it. You should Google it or something and see if this helps. Good luck!