Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think  developed your interest in sewing? >

Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think developed your interest in sewing?

Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think developed your interest in sewing?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
If my husband took up quilting he would end up doing it better than me, so I'll leave him to his computer and not suggest it!
Yes Quiltmaniac ... I feel the same way about my hubby ... which is why I don't encourage my husband ...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Hey, I love hearing about how the guys got started, as well as most were at their grandmother or mother's knees from small children on up. My son was that way, but my dau (lives in CA, just North of San Francisco is an RN at Marin General) who is left handed & I almost got into a hair pulling contest when I tried to teach her how to use my Singer machine, back in the 70s. Not to be outdone, my son who is 5 1/2 yrs younger started sneaking around & taught himself how to repair his jeans, sew on buttons & such by watching me. I caught him fixing his jeans one day, but just stood back & watched. He hasn't done any quilting as far as I know (doesn't have a machine), but I have a EuroPro I bought off Home Shopping Network I may ask him to see if he can get working. The gears are somehow off track I think. All he needs is a challenge. My Grandson is headstrong, but he's much more patient & has watched me sew before. That boy loves to iron & can press a seam better than me. I made him a pillow & he'd run to the ironing board everytime I needed a seam pressed. This Summer when he starts driving, I'll get him over here & I bet he can sew on my Viking. I have a whole box of denim I've cut jeans up to make a quilt & I'll see if he's interested in that. I have a pretty big stash as well as bottles of dye, so I'll get him or his sister to help me with that. She's very artesy & likes to make different looking items. I can see her making abstract art pieces one day. She is fixing to graduate high school & start college this Fall (about 5 or 6 blocks from where they just moved in Dec 09). She can go there 2 yrs, then transfer to one of two different colleges in AL via Sattelite & go the remaining 2 yrs, while living at home. She has been in Band since 5th grade & has been Section Leader since 10th Grade for Low Brass. She plays trombone & has all kind of awards. My grandson plays Tuba like my son did. I apologize, but I'm really proud of all them. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I lived with my grandmother for several years. She taught me to sew by mending my play clothes. You know sew buttons and such. She said I should learn this so I could take care of myself. She also taught me to knit and crochet. I would have rather been playing ball outside!!! LOL We made a quilt together and I have beeen sewing and quilting ever since about 6 years old. I am now 63. I have her old treadle singer and all her sewing stuff, including some unusual pin cushions. I use all of it still today. I piece with the singer and quilt by hand. I am retired army officer and made all my wife's formal dresses for all the balls we attended. When I get a new digital camera I will post pictures. Glenn from Huntsville :lol:
Good to hear your history of starting to quilt Glenn. Please do post pics of your formal dress designing.
Bootsie
Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by Lostn51
After I was finished making her quilt I was hooked!!

Billy
Are the eyes under that beautiful quilt sleeping or awake? I love the puppies also. I am glad you have the passion for sewing and I enjoyed your story. Thank-you for sharing with us.
That was taken after Thanksgiving Dinnerthis year. And she was out like a light. The puppers were not far behind her :lol: :lol:

Hard to believe that rascal is almost 3 years old and has been washed every week since I have made it. I guess I did pretty good!

Billy
Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 PM

Delightful stories. So glad to see men are quilting and sewing. I always enjoy it when the boys and young men exhibit their accomplishments in the 4-H department of fairs. Some of them sew a lot better than the girls!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 AM

When I was 12 I travelled a long way to spend the summer with my aunt and uncle. My uncle eddie was a quilter. We spent the time, me learning and he teaching me to quilt. the project was cathedral windows. he made CW quilts for each grandchild. (18) throughout his life. My aunt dot coordinated the fabrics into patterns but uncle eddie did what he wanted. They had a tough life and he felt quilting eased his worries. He also prayed while he sewed. In his elder years his eyesight failed first but ,by feeling he could do the hand sewing around the window. I miss them both but treasure what he taught me.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
my hubby doesn't quilt but is a big help when it comes to "me needing help"

He has been doing wooden quilts to hang on the outside garage, shed or wherever and they are adorable.

He started doing that by preparing the wood for me but then I decided that it might be fun for him to do and now it's his quilting time !!!!
PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love all these stories. I hope they just keeping geting posted, and posted, and posted.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 AM

I've always been a fan of sewing and always wanted to sew. In my HomeEc class we cooked and other things, but not sewing. I guess I was about 14 or 15 when I made my first garment. That's probably when I got hooked. Over the years I made many garments, but always longed to make a quilt. I thought it was beyond my capability level. Well, I studied architecture in college and took a ton of art classes. Never went into the field, but I learned a lot and it has come in handy over the years.

Finally, about 7 or 8 years ago I started watching Simply Quilts on TV, then Quilt In A Day. That's when I got hooked for good. They are the only "classes" I've had. I've got all episodes on Video Tape. I watch them all the time to keep the info fresh in my mind. So one day I decided to dive in and do a quilt.

My mother bought me a really inexpensive sewing machine (it was a piece of junk, really) and off I went. I gathered old work shirts & pants, some pillow shams, muslin and some other misc fabrics around the house. I used a mattress cover for batting and a sheet for the back. It was supposed to be nothing more than a "practice quilt" but when finished, I loved it. It's still my favorite today. I keep it on my bed. I've been quilting ever since. I don't know exactly how many quilts I've made because I give them all away to friends and family and the rest get donated to charity. I only have two of my own works. I want to make a new one for my bed one day. Well, that's my story. At least this chapter, will have to see what comes in the future for more chapters. I can tell you this, all future chapters will include quilting. I'm an addict now.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 PM

In May 2009, my (quilter) wife was watching one of her boring (to me at the time) shows (Fons & Porter) and they had "some guy" on there talking about some of his quilts. Turned out to be some guy named Flynn that was pushing some sort of frame that he had developed. Behind him, on the wall, was a quilt that struck me and I told my darling that if she could find the pattern for THAT quilt, I would make it.

I had had some experience in front of a sewing machine for the 21 years that I spent in the Navy as a Boatswains Mate. I had the job of working in the "sail locker" (which is a misnomer seeing as ships no longer use sails) But, we did upholstery and whatever else needed to be sewn for a variety of ships. My experience was on industrial size machines that sewed canvass and such.

Anyway, a few hours later, the love of my life found the pattern and she told me that she would not allow me to begin with that particular pattern. She showed me how to make what I THOUGHT she called a 9-pak and since I figured that it was a six pack and a half, I was all for it.
So, my first turned out to be a baby quilt for a niece of ours (I think it was a piece of junk and the niece thought I was a genius)
The pattern that my love wouldn't let me start wit is a double wedding ring variation that turns out looking like fans. I have a picture somewhere on this computer that I made from the EQ6 program. When i find it, I'll attempt to post it for ya'll.
Since then, my love has talked me into buying her a Janome 6600. We got it and she allowed me to try it out. So, then we went and bought ME one. We ran across a pretty good deal the other day for a Bernina frame that can either be 5 ft. or 10 ft. long. We got it for $1,000,00 and it isn't set up completely yet.

This is the one I was talking about (still a WIP)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62670[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62665.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Old man- New quilter
In May 2009, my (quilter) wife was watching one of her boring (to me at the time) shows (Fons & Porter) and they had "some guy" on there talking about some of his quilts. Turned out to be some guy named Flynn that was pushing some sort of frame that he had developed. Behind him, on the wall, was a quilt that struck me and I told my darling that if she could find the pattern for THAT quilt, I would make it.

I had had some experience in front of a sewing machine for the 21 years that I spent in the Navy as a Boatswains Mate. I had the job of working in the "sail locker" (which is a misnomer seeing as ships no longer use sails) But, we did upholstery and whatever else needed to be sewn for a variety of ships. My experience was on industrial size machines that sewed canvass and such.

Anyway, a few hours later, the love of my life found the pattern and she told me that she would not allow me to begin with that particular pattern. She showed me how to make what I THOUGHT she called a 9-pak and since I figured that it was a six pack and a half, I was all for it.
So, my first turned out to be a baby quilt for a niece of ours (I think it was a piece of junk and the niece thought I was a genius)
The pattern that my love wouldn't let me start wit is a double wedding ring variation that turns out looking like fans. I have a picture somewhere on this computer that I made from the EQ6 program. When i find it, I'll attempt to post it for ya'll.
Since then, my love has talked me into buying her a Janome 6600. We got it and she allowed me to try it out. So, then we went and bought ME one. We ran across a pretty good deal the other day for a Bernina frame that can either be 5 ft. or 10 ft. long. We got it for $1,000,00 and it isn't set up completely yet.
A his and hers. I love it. Too cool. Thank you for sharing.