Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What iron and ironing board do you recommend? >

What iron and ironing board do you recommend?

What iron and ironing board do you recommend?

Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM

I had the $65.00 Rowenta that shut off after 10 minutes of inactivity and it lasted less than 2 years. Swore I wouldn't buy another one but when I got to Joann's and the NON=shutoff Rowenta were only $30ish I bought it. The steam and heat are great.

I also have mine hooked up to a 6way cord that also has a light plugged into the 6 way. If I see the light "ON" I know the iron is still "ON"...and I unplug it. A physical reminder! (and yes I do have a sign on the kitchen door that says 'shut the coffee pot OFF' (because it doesn't shut off automatically). LOL
Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

If you get the wider board from WallMart be sure the metal screen type surface is flat. I bought one and it had a hump in it and I tossed it out.

I made two bigboard type ironing surfaces. Plywood, batting and silver fabric. Total cost for the two was $35.

I am convinced the less expensive irons work just as good has the higher prices ones. I bought two - one for me and one for my daughter that has the neat little feature of legs popping up. We have been thru 6 and all "dump water like a new born babe"....as someone described the faulty feature. If you are looking for one that doesn't steam like the older irons - the Vermont Country Store in Vermont has them.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:58 PM

I just had to go shopping for a new flat iron and was amazed at how many shut off after 6 mins, 8 mins, etc - a sewer's nightmare! I finally went online and typed in "no auto shut off" and came up with only two resources, one was Rowenta. I did order that one, and so far am not disappointed. It did, however, cost me $79 (have never paid that for an iron in my life!) - but so far, I like it!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:12 PM

I bought one from Wal-Mart for about $12 or $14 (mine was a Proctor Silex) - it steams great - but does not get hot enough to take serious or semi-serious wrinkles out of anything. It has been on "high" since the day I bought it and I don't have to worry about it ruining my syntetic-type Donkenny pants when I iron them. I thought maybe in today's desire for the auto-shut off, that if it didn't get hot enough to burn the house down, you wouldn't have to worry about it! :-)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM

There is a quilters ironing board, but very pricey.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 PM

I have a shark iron and absolutely love it. It does have an auto shut off, but quickly heats up again. Waiting the minute does not bother me, and I must say I love the weight of the iron!