Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
caution - extreme shrinkage! >

caution - extreme shrinkage!

caution - extreme shrinkage!

Old 05-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Yikes!!! I know it is taboo, but thinking a king sized flat sheet at about $12 is looking pretty good to me, no shrinkage, no shifting. I know I am about to get kicked off here, and I really like the board. Oh well, let's see what happens.
You will NOT get kicked off for suggesting sheets as quilt backings 8-) LOL ...
I totally agree .... too much shrinkage, and waaayyyy too much money! Sheets are not recommended for hand quilting, but I have read a thread here where the gal said it didn't seem to be a big deal trying to hand quilt through sheets as backing.
So, there is a heads up about sheets - - pretty hard to do if you are hand quilting ...
other than that, they are well-priced for what you are wanting to do, and by golly! Seems to be a more efficient use of our $$ resources, if for no other reason <wave>
Old 05-09-2010, 03:17 PM

I, too, always pre-wash fabric in cool water. So far I have never had a problem. I'm glad you pre-washed that fabric . Even though it was terrible for you to go through all that shrinkage, you would of been heart broke if your quilt was finished & then washed it.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Wow! That's way too much. 8 inches is too much. I don't buy fabric from JoAnn's. Im lucky enough that our LQS will honor JoAnn's coupons so I buy there. The sheet idea sounds great. Try Tuesday Morning's mark down areas.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by danmar
You'd be lucky if Joann's would even take it back. Most places have a "No Return" policy on cut fabrics.
I took batik fabric back to Joanns when it lost color in spots in the wash and they took it back with no problem.

I bought 108 wide fabric at the LQS and found fabric at Joann's that I believe was exactly the same.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:06 PM

I have used sheets many times. Love the feel. Quilt police have not got me yet and my family doesn't know it is a no-no.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:43 PM

I began working in a quilt shop three years ago. Have I learned a lot. One thing is to always purchase quality fabric. Some quality fabric manufacturers are Hoffman, Kaufman, South Seas, Benartex, and others found in quilt stores. I gave away all my fabric that I had purchased from fabric chain stores. The quality is very different with higher thread count, better thread and better processing, thus a higher price, but well worth it.

Also, we always piece our quilt backs, often using the same fabric as in the quilt. Many of our quilters make a simple design from their scraps, and then the quilt is reversible.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 PM

This is awful, I hate shopping at Joann's. It's the only big fabric store I have the next other than Joann's is 150 miles.

I have been disappointed a number of times. But sometimes I just bite the bullet and buy from them.

For this reason I always use sheets.

I would think that much shrinkage is just not right and I would talk to them in person.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 PM

If you don't care for Joanns and do not have a quilt shop near by, try some of the quilt shops listed for fabshophop. You can get quality fabric and find some good sales, too. The only drawback is knowing how true the colors will be. If you buy kits, you are pretty well assured the colors will coordinate.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by danmar
You'd be lucky if Joann's would even take it back. Most places have a "No Return" policy on cut fabrics.
They will take it back if it is unaltered in any way from when you bought it, that is to say uncut/unwashed, but even then you must have your reciept.

But I did return some red toille once that had bled dreadfully, and they took it because it was obviously unuseable, no problem with them.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:45 PM

LQS - This is a new name for me. Are they an online store too.