Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting guilds >

Quilting guilds

Quilting guilds

Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Our guild is through the Country Extension Office. We are considered a "special interest group" and our dues are $12 a year. More than reasonable. We do not have officers, we vote on what we want to do and are open to suggestions from all members. If we want to learn a specific pattern, we split the cost of the instructor for the day (usually in the morning for about 3 hours). It is usually about $5 each. We meet with the guild one day a month at the extension office. We are currently having 3 or 4 UFO days a month. In addition, we take road trips periodically.

This really helps those of us who do not have room to do our cutting and sewing. Our time frame is 10:00 to 4:00 which makes it worthwhile to load up our equipment for a day of work. We are permitted to get there as early as 9:00, if we desire.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM

I hope they at least paid you to do the trunk show! When I am the speaker for my guild I get paid just as I do when speaking at other guilds. It is a nice source of extra money and the 14 page handouts need to be covered. I bet if you did more guild presentations you would find other guilds who would invite you to join!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Eddie: With the way it sounds, you might be better off starting your own guild! I bet you'll be surprised at how many members from the other guild who aren't happy end up at your meetings instead, or they'll be like me and many of my friends and belong to both guilds. ;) It's pretty easy to start a guild and only takes a handful of people. And the best part is that you are in on the ground floor, which means you can make it any way you'd like. (I see Susan B has suggested this too.)

I bet if you started your own guild and announced that men were welcome, the other guild would change their policy pretty darn quick!

As for them using you for a trunk show and then discarding you - that is just plain rude!!! I wouldn't want to belong to a group who treated people like that. At the least you should have received a thank you card. Heck, my guild would have made you an honorary member!
Yes, I pretty much think that I wouldn't join now even if they offered it. Having seen this side of the guild, it's not attractive.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by applique
I hope they at least paid you to do the trunk show! When I am the speaker for my guild I get paid just as I do when speaking at other guilds. It is a nice source of extra money and the 14 page handouts need to be covered. I bet if you did more guild presentations you would find other guilds who would invite you to join!
Nope, no payment to me for the trunk show. However, I took a $35 jelly roll from my stash and gave it away as a prize for a drawing at the end of my trunk show. :roll:
Old 06-04-2010, 03:25 PM

I belong to a small guild, 30-35 members. Our dues are $12 a year. We have a vote for what we want to do. Speakers, classes, teachers, etc. and the dates. Every Oct. we get together and make give away quilts for our local shelters, hospitals or where they are needed. We have lots of fun, show-n-tell, block const., new quilt ideas, etc. every month.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Nope, no payment to me for the trunk show. However, I took a $35 jelly roll from my stash and gave it away as a prize for a drawing at the end of my trunk show. :roll:
Want to come do a trunk show at my house? :lol:
Old 06-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by have2quilt
Eddie,
Have they SEEN your quilts? If so, they are just jealous. If not, they don't know what they are missing.

You could continue to lobby for change (only you can decide if you think it would be worthwhile). If you get the rule changed, it sounds like it will still take a lot of work to adjust their attitude. You might be better off using your time and energy to quilt!

Perhaps you and the quilters (any gender) who are embarrassed by the "old guard"'s behavior, need to start a new local guild - with fewer (bad) rules and lots more fun.

If you ever make it to Wisconsin, we meet on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, and you are VERY welcome.

Good luck. Grace
Actually, they have seen my work. Back in mid-February of this year, the president of the guild called me to say that their scheduled speaker for the February meeting had to cancel and she wanted to know if I could come do a trunk show in her place. I wanted to show that I could rise above them and their discrimination, so I said yes (my wife told me what SHE would have said if she had been me, LOL!). But I went, did the trunk show, and that was the end of that. I had thought that perhaps that was the beginning of a thawing of the non-men issue, but not so. Haven't heard a word again from them.

Eddie,
While I've heard the term, I don't know what a "trunk show" is.
As for being denied membership in a guild, it's too bad because I've always heard that a grp. of women behave better when there are men present.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by have2quilt
Eddie,
Have they SEEN your quilts? If so, they are just jealous. If not, they don't know what they are missing.

You could continue to lobby for change (only you can decide if you think it would be worthwhile). If you get the rule changed, it sounds like it will still take a lot of work to adjust their attitude. You might be better off using your time and energy to quilt!

Perhaps you and the quilters (any gender) who are embarrassed by the "old guard"'s behavior, need to start a new local guild - with fewer (bad) rules and lots more fun.

If you ever make it to Wisconsin, we meet on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, and you are VERY welcome.

Good luck. Grace
Actually, they have seen my work. Back in mid-February of this year, the president of the guild called me to say that their scheduled speaker for the February meeting had to cancel and she wanted to know if I could come do a trunk show in her place. I wanted to show that I could rise above them and their discrimination, so I said yes (my wife told me what SHE would have said if she had been me, LOL!). But I went, did the trunk show, and that was the end of that. I had thought that perhaps that was the beginning of a thawing of the non-men issue, but not so. Haven't heard a word again from them.

Eddie,
While I've heard the term, I don't know what a "trunk show" is.
As for being denied membership in a guild, it's too bad because I've always heard that a grp. of women behave better when there are men present.
A trunk show is just when someone brings a collection of their quilts and shows and talks about each one, the fabrics and quilting used, etc. As though I brought a "trunk" of my quilts and showed them.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Eddie, thanks for the description. Sounds like fun since it's always fun to see other people's work. Of course it makes us drool & inspires us to go home & warm up the sewing machine.
I go through that in fabric stores. Can't wait til I get home.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Wow, Eddie, your just to nice. LOL, I want to hear what your WIFE wouldve told them! I agree with the others, start your own. You could really help alot of people. Your group could be the "nice" guild!