Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room >

Sewing Room

Sewing Room

Old 07-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
I need to ask a couple of questions. I've just bought the small house next door to me to hopefully turn into my sewing craft house. The house was built in 1940, has no central heat or air. My first question is this... will having window air conditioners affect my fabric, sewing machine and serger? Will having an old Deerborn gas heater affect them? Also when I hopefully get organized I had planned on putting vinyl or a clear shower curtain liner on the front of my bookcases to keep the dust off my fabric. Would this be okay? I would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thank you Carol
You need to make sure the heater is clean & blown out before you start it up. Sometimes they burn off soot & you don't know it till the ceiling is stained & guess what, probably your fabrics if they are exposed. I have a window unit in my bldg. No problems ,just keep filter clean.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 AM

We've had some doozies over there. One renter even poisoned our dog.
--------------------------------
We've had some doozies next door to us too, over the years.
I'll tell you what I found out as a constantly moving military
wife over several years. The very FIRST person who crosses
the door when you move in, will be the one to watch out for.
She will be the nosiest one ever...Had one in Albuquerque visit
to welcome us to the place. Didn't come in, just handed me a
lot of frozen chocolate ice cream, said that I was probably tired
and LEFT. That sweet lady became our best friend and we mourned her loss when they were transfered out. The other ones, we prayed they would be sent to Alaska or ......
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM

[quote=Joyce]Anna, have you tried a good sponge mop with a scrubber edge on it.
================
Try the Flylady products. I've found they do a marvelous
job, and my less than agile 76 year old hands can clean
nicely now with them. And some of them come with expandable
handles.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by mommaB
TSP (Tri sodium phosphate) is a great cleaner for something like this (ask me how I know :D ). Then a coat of Kilz or Bins sealer - NOT the latex variety- which will keep the stains from seeping through. Then your top coat. Its a lot of work, but it comes out beautiful. I owned a house that had been heated by wood stove and a kerosun plus smokers. Your pictures bring back not so fond memories :lol: The smell will come out..is there carpet anywhere? That's what really holds the smell. If you can take it out, great!! If that's not in the budget, steam clean now, and then again when you're finished cleaning. The Kilz sealer blocks some of the odor also. Don't you wonder how people can live that way?

Maybe a dehumidifier would be a help for the humidity? Might also keep the AC from working so hard. I think you would want a vented (outside) heater/furnace. My Dad had one in his woodshop in the garage which he salvaged from an old house trailer.FREE! It just needed a pipe through the wall and up for a chimney. No odor, and kept the place toasty :-D

I am so jealous. I have a large room for my stuff, but a whole cottage?? WOW, you are one lucky girl :lol: Please post progress pictures..I dream of remodeling an old house some day!!
My thoughts exactly. Even after all the scrubbing I had planned on using TSP and KILZ before painting. There is some cheap carpet in the 2 little bedrooms and down the hall that I plan to keep but have cleaned. You know I really could not smell it that much in those rooms and the carpet does not look all that bad. The last renter was a single guy and I think he much have stayed mostly in the living room and kitchen.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by karensue
HI
I live in Georgia and have had a clear plastic shower liner over my shelves for about 10 years now and love them.
I agree, I used the shower liner instead of fabric because I wanted to see my "stuff".
I also cut 2 slits in the liner (almost to the top) so that I could get to the shelves without having to move the entire curtain.
Karen
Thanks Karen, makes me feel a little better about the shower curtain thing.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Oh, my! I'll bet your hands and arms are tired! Yikes!

Originally Posted by Linda B
I was born and raised in Wichita Falls. I've been gone from Texas for over 35 years, but sometimes I still get homesick for the open skies and mesquite trees!! I love the idea of a small craft house. Please post pictures -- even 'before' and then the 'after' would be great to see.
Hi Linda, yes I live in Burkburnett.I've lived here since 1960....moved here when I was 16 from Garland. When I get to go on vacation and see all the pretty scenery and get back close to home I wonder why we live in such a flat place.LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 AM

I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
Lowes or Home Depot sell a paint that will mask that smoke smell.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
Anna, have you tried a good sponge mop with a scrubber edge on it.
I have found Magic Erasures from Mr. Clean is easier for me.
I use Magic erasures on my fiberglass tub unit. I can't get down on my knees or bend over so I use my feet on the erasure. I have had to find a lot of work-arounds since hip & knee replacement.
Hi Joyce, yes I have Magic Erasers too but have not gotten around to using them yet. However this tub is so nasty I don't think even Mr.Clean could help it.

Nasty tub
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69619[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69614.jpe  
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM

I bought a place that was full of nicotine on walls and ceiling.
After cleaning and before painting I put 2-coats of KILZ on. Smoke smell never came through. Tore out all carpet to rid of smell.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Banned

A whole house! I sure envy you. My fabric, batts, machines etc have spread throughtout my house, incl 2 stairwells. The only rooms spared, thus far, are kitchen and bathroom.

I've had window ACs in my sewing room 20+ years, no damage.
The one damage I've had is fading on fold edges from sunlight, before I put in expensive shades that stop the rays.
If you're humid in your part of Texas, I'd put in a humidifier (spelling? but no spellcheck here) as the humidity can attract unwanted insects.
If you cover your fabric shelves, don't use plastic. Whatever you use, make sure absolutely no light comes through