Kittens in the Coal Mine

Old 08-09-2010, 07:06 AM

What a sad but wonderful story and Bless you and your husband and his work mates for caring for these little guys and their mom. My DH and I are volunteers with a rescue program here in our area. We usually get the medically fragile kittens that have to be bottle fed every hour or two until they are strog enough to eat on their own. What we are told to feed them is a product that is a mother's milk substitute that is in powdered form that we mix with warm water;. This powder can be purchased in the pet dept. of any Walmart for about $10 . Once the kittens are able to eat on their own we mix MEAT baby food with the milk substitute to make a thicker milk and as the kittens get better at eating we add more babyfood to the milk til its almost pure baby food. Beechnut meat baby food is the best babyfood as they don't have any preservatives but in our area Beechnut brand is hard to find so I buy Gerber chicken, turkey or lamb food. The kittens love it as do our big kitties!!!! Again, thank you for the kindness you are showing to the mamma cat and her kittens.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Awww, sounds like the kittens are attached to you too! :D

I hope you can keep them and at this age you can domesticate them. I feel so sorry for ferral cats unless someone takes care of them like you have. :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 AM

since your husband took them, I say keep them, too cute!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM

precious.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Lyn

I know up here if you have trouble with rehydration call a rescue. Go to petfinders.com and put in your zip code. They have bags of a mixture of water and I think saline and vitamins. They put the fluid under the skin and it makes the kittens look like little buffalos. In the mean time use your little finger and dip it in the formula or wet kitten food and gently scrape it on their teeth. They can crash fast without fluids.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Go to your farm supply store. Calf replacement powder works well. I raised 4 little ones with this and bottles. It's a lot cheaper than the kitten formula and works just as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Don't use anything except kitten replacement. The multi-animal replacements say right on the bag not to be used for kittens. The fat content is not high enough and kittens can starve to death on it. A couple of days on it is okay, and it is absolutely better than nothing.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM

What sweet faces! Thank you for taking them in and giving them a good start in life.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:30 PM

The sweet calico is my favorite! I have all 3 "flavors" of calicos :wink:
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM

Awww! Such pretty babies.
DD had a similar experience. Friends heard a kitten crying for a couple days, couldn't find it. Mother had apparently moved the litter and left one behind. DD adopted it and it was so tiny! Had to be fed about every 3 hrs. with a bottle and goat's milk (per vet's recommendation). It is now at least twice as big, just full of P & V, and eating dry kitten food. Is trained to a disposable pad, moving to a litter box next. Now that it is older, we can see it is a flame point Siamese. Quite unusual.

Your little runt looks about the same size. Good luck with nuturing them. Hope they do well. Penny in K'zoo