Were you a smoker

Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 PM

i started smoking as a teenager . I thought it made me look cool. but i really only looked like a fool. I quit about 24 years ago.after several attempts. and I had to use the patch. It worked great for me. DH had pills a patch and me screaming at him before he could quit:)
Old 10-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Dee

I smoked for 46 years. Went to the airport with DH to see my girlfriend for 2 weeks and don't smoke. I had my last smoke and told DH this is my last cig. I quit cold turkey and never been happier. Now I can't stand smelling smoke. I can't breathe. DH quit 2 days later.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM

I smoked for 25 yrs and one day I got an Rx from my doctor for the new nicorette gum, this was way before it became OTC. It worked and 2 months after my last smoke I was able to walk down the Grand Canyon with my 15 yr old son. That was 25 yrs ago and I have enjoyed life smoke free since then. Oh, cigs were just $0.50 when I had my last one. Looked at the cost of a carton and it was over $50!! Glad I am not burning my money like that anymore.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM

Both my parents were heavy smokers as well as my favorite aunt. My two brothers are both heavy smokers but neither my sister or I have ever smoked. My son has never picked up the habit but my daughter has smoked for 30 years. I keep trying to get her to quit but I doubt if she ever will. She had cervical cancer at 25 and ovarian cancer at 42...the doctors never came right out and said the smoking had anything to do with it but :?: :?: :?: Her house never smells of smoke...she has air purifiers in almost every room but I've noticed the brown film on needlework pictures and windows. When she comes here to visit she has to sit outside and smoke and no lighting up in my car :thumbdown: I've even asked her to not smoke when I'm riding in her car because the smoke always comes my way and I just can't breathe. I just wish she would quit 8-)
Old 10-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Just keep thinking how hard it was to give up. Ask God to give you the strength to keep the smokes away. The urge to light up becomes just a distant thought. Keep up the good work. I know how hard it is, It has been about 20 yrs for me and I was a 2pck a day, wow the money it would cost today :thumbup:
Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 PM

I used to have a few drags off of cigarettes when I was in high school, but really didn't get into the smoking habit until I was in the Canadian Air Force after high school. When I got out, I married a USAF airman who also smoked. When our daughters were very small, my DH saw one of them "smoking" a Tinker Toy stick & she & he, then & there, made an agreement to quit smoking. He quit cold turkey right then. I kept smoking (not heavily ... more of a habit than an addiction) until 14 years ago. I bought some inexpensive "stop smoking aid" at a local drug store that helped reduce my nicotine intake in stages. I don't think the product still exists, but it worked like a charm for me within about 3 weeks. Nowadays, I don't have to freeze outside in the winter just so I can smoke a cigarette and I don't have DH harping any more about my expensive & stinky smoking habit. Now neither one of us can stand the smell of cigarette smoke!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:08 PM

I quit as a New Years Resolution. On Jan. 1, 1984 I went from three packs a day to zero cigarettes. I was in the Navy at the time and, aboard ship, you could only smoke in designated areas.... I stayed out of those areas. I will admit that it was the absolute hardest thing I have ever done in my life but it was the second best thing I ever did ( #1 being my choice of such a wonderful woman to be my wife ).

For at least two years afterwords, I would dream that I was smoking and wake up in the middle of the night only to realize that it was in fact a dream but, a very vivid one. During that two years, I thought about smoking again, then I laughed about it and forgot about it.

I met a very attractive lady once and when she lit up, I told her that she was a beautiful lady but, the cigarette made her UGLY.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Too right. I say I am a smoker with altzeimers, I just forget to smoke a ciggarrette LOL.
Good on us all I say.
I use my cigarette money on knitting and quilting fabrics too.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:53 AM

I have been a non smoker for over six months now...March 9 of this year. I had wanted to quit for some time. I had smoked since I was a teen and was planning to try hypnosis since the Chantex did not work for me. I had quit only 2 times...when I was pregnant with my two children and both times I had stopped cold turkey. Honestly, I wasn't even planning to quit that day. I had done a couple of things that I think helped...I had taken a meditation class and learned to breathe for relaxation and started making myself think of smoking very negatively. For example, I would think of how it was messing up my lungs, how it was going to make me die young, etc. Every time I smoked, I would try to make myself think about all the bad things. One morning I woke up and had two cigs left. I lit one and it didn't taste good...I put it out and thought "I'm gonna see how long I can go before smoking that last cig"....never smoked it. I think one thing I had to do was to tell myself that I am addicted to smoking. Like an alcoholic...I knew I could NEVER let myself have even one puff. I had been smoke free for 3 months when my dad died and I immediately wanted a cigerette...it just proved how very addicted I was. If you still smoke, don't give up, just keep trying to quit!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:01 AM

Good for you Qbee keep at it.
I still get the odd urge but they are few and far between now.