Were you a smoker

Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 AM

I have been off that dirty habit for 13 yers. DH & I made a $5.00 bet & neither one would give in. I had stopped 3 times before for 5 yrs & all it took was one ciggie & I was hooked again. I smoked for 30 yrs & now can't stand the smell of it. So to all who have quit --CONGRATS!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM

[quote=Joan Rosemary]Too right. I say I am a smoker with altzeimers, I just forget to smoke a ciggarrette LOL.

ROTF lol lol lol
Old 10-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
Originally Posted by KathyAire
I didn't smoke. My husband, Keith, smoked for 40 years and quit about seven years ago. His hobby is collecting knifes. He only buys knifes made in the USA. Most of them are very expensive. When he buys a high dollar knife, he tells me that he is spending the cigarette money his is saving. I tell him that since I never smoked, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Keith tried to quit several times and always went back. The last time, he said one night he coughed so much through the night, he thought he would die. Said he prayed and told God if HE would like him live, he would not smoke again. I've seen him try to quilt so many times and he was miserable. The last time, it seemed like it wasn't much of an effort at all. He said the times before, he didn't really want to quit, he enjoyed smoking. I guess that, plus the fact that he called out to God, is what made the difference
DH had a heart attack in August. He was a smoker of 40 years. The dr. told him he could smoke or he could live - those were his choices. DH hasn't touched one since. Hallelujah!!!
I am also a NFLDer, had a heart attack in
August of '95, also smoked for 40 years Stange coincidences huh ?
glad we both stopped.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Dee

Congrats to all of you that quit. I hope all still moking would quit, but its a big decision to make within ourselves. You have to want to quit. My dad died of emphysema at 59. I have copd and so does my DH. I pray my son quits. A habit he picked up in the Navy. Even a couple of cigs are an injury to your lungs. I was told last yr. I would have to have 1/2 my left lung removed, as I have a tumor and others on it. So, I'll have 1 more cat skan to tell the surgeon when. Sorry this so long, but I just pray smoking wouldn't injure my quilting sisters.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Dee, you will be in my prayers. I do know what is feels like to have shortness of breath. It takes you twice as long to do something :!: [[hugs]]...................................
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 AM

After watching my two parents smoke as a child, I knew it was something "I" never wanted to do.

My Mom did quit 12 years before her death due to lung cancer. It was very hard for her to quit.

I commend and congratulate all of you who have kicked the habit. It is something to be very proud of!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 AM

I have been smoking since I was 12 - I spoke about 1 1/2 packs a day. DH also smokes and maybe 3 packs a day. I have been trying to at least cut down, but even that is hard - I have tried several times to quit over the years. About 5 of my friends have bought the e-cigs - one friend use to smoke 3 packs a day and her doctor told her that it isn't the nicotine that kills you its the smoke, tar and chemicals that are in the cigs now. She has saved soo much money that she bought brand new bedroom furniture. A couple other of my friends have not had a cigeratte in 3 weeks and then the other one smokes every once in awhile. DH and I do not smoke in the house and haven't for over 7 years now and I am tired of going outside and freezing my tail off. I want to quit but sometimes I really like the process of smoking - I am trying to talk DH into letting me buy the e-cigs. There's this website (www.aquavaporcig.com) that has them at good prices. Another friend of mine just got her's from there, but she is having to call them today to see how to refill the cartridge. I am waiting to hear from her about this product. Sorry for this being so long.. Congrats to all of you who have quit. It is one of the hardest things to do, but I will I just have to have the will power to do it. :)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 AM

A friend of mine was a long term smoker. She gave up while she was having chemotherapy. She reckoned that she was feeling so bad she could not feel any worse. I am angry she didn't stop sooner. In fact I am angry at everyone who smokes. Your health is a precious thing to waste. But I do understand how hard it is, and I applaud those who have succeeded, and those who are still fighting it. You are SO worth the effort!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 AM

I smoked from the time I was 17 until I was 62. I tried all the patches and gum and it only worked a few days or weeks at the time. When I went for my physical in 1-07 and asked my doctor about Chantix I thought he was going to hug me. I used it and quit and haven't had one since but still love the smell. Sometimes I think I want just one but I know one will lead to a pack to a carton and that would start me again. the only problem I had with Chantix was the strange dreams the first couple of weeks.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
Hi an interesting subject that may help others. If you have successfully stopped smoking, how did you do it.
I smoked for nion 50 years (tried to stop several times before) I have finally done it.
I did it by seeing a counsellor and taking up knitting. Can't smoke while your hands are busy, I never smoked indoors I always went outside away from everyone. So every time I got an urge for a ciggarette I would pick up my knitting.
What did you do? and how many attemps did you have. I had a total of 20 ranging from a few hours to 8 months.
Congrats on quitting! It is the sinlge most important thing you can do for your health. I smoked for 40 years and made 9 attempts to quit without success. After 13 years of trying to have a baby my daughter finally gave birth to Billy in 2002. When Billy's daddy passed away we told him his daddy is in heaven now. One day Billy came to me and said "Nana if you and mama go to heaven too, who's going to stay down here with me. Billy was 6 years old. I took him in my arms and promised him that his mama and I were going to be here with him for a very long time. That satisfied Billy but made me realize I would never be able to keep my promise to that little angel if I continued to smoke. I went to my doctor that week, he gave me Chantix and within 7 days I knew I was finally a non-smoker. Chantix made it so easy I wish I had used it years ago. Now I am a Quit Ambassador for Pfizer Pharm. One week out of every month they send me to doctor's offices and medical clinics all over the United State. We do educational and motivational seminars to get people to stop smoking. I have a passion for helping people do this. If anyone on this board wants to pm me I would be happy to help in any way I can. Congratulations to all who have quit, Good Luck to those trying to quit and if you still smoke...you will quit ONLY when YOU are ready! (and you find your own motivation).

Keep in mind, please, the e-cigs have not been approved as safe to use by the FDA, nor have they been proven to work.