Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the issue with Purple? >

What's the issue with Purple?

What's the issue with Purple?

Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
cka

Check out Jinny Beyer's line. She has several purples from deep to pale and several inbetween tonals.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by quilterella
When I still had my Quilt Shop, customers would come in looking for fabric, anything but purple as a rule. They always said it bled too much, too hard to match etc, etc. Well, Purple just happens to be my most absolutely favorite colour. I desiginated one section just to purple, probably 110 bolts of different purples. Anyway, I ramble, now with no shop of my own, I am having the same problem...hardly any purple to be bought. I would love to see atleast one fabric line that was mainly purple and did not involve pansies.

Purple has been my favorite color for as long as i can remember. I love almost every shade of purple from orchid to dark. I have a lot of trouble finding pretty purples also. However I don't like purples with lots of pansies or flowers either. I don't like purple cars or houses or purple painted rooms but for everything else I love it. I have a fairly nice collection at this time and want to do a couple of purple quilts but haven't found just the right pattern yet that I think will really do that color justice.Does anyone have a great pattern for a beautiful purple quilt?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 PM

You all are so very helpful, thank you very much! :)
Old 10-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I'm currently finished a Purple/lavendar quilt.... and while topping off the resto f the fabric needed for this project my local fabric store ( The Fabric Warehouse, in Willmar, MN) had a WHOLE table of nothing but purples and lavenders!!!! I tried to restrain myself... so I only ended up with 18 different patterns.... sigh.. but there were SOOOO many pretty ones......sigh
Please post a picture of your quilt!!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:13 PM

My LQS has a large section of purples. I guess I'm lucky. One thing with them though, is there are a couple different flavors to them. Some have more red in them and some more blue, so trying to match up colors, especially if you don't want both, is difficult. I agree that purple or any dark blue Batik, do have a tendency to run and bleed when they get wet. Some don't stop, then they get put in the pile that only get used in a wall quilt. Since I mainly make wall quilts, that's not so much of a problem for me.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 PM

I like Fossil Ferns,batiks,Moda marbles; there's some of the prettiest colors in those fabric lines, especially the purples. I don't really like solid fabrics as I feel they stand out too much in a quilt.
Sharon :thumbup:
Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

You may have seen this already but here is a site someone posted and THEY HAVE TONS of PURPLE!!!

http://www.quiltingcotton.com/
Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny
If you think there's a shortage of purple, try looking for orange.
Ain't that the truth!! I'm making an orange based quilt for my DGS and it's taken me forever to find enough orange cotton shirts, skirts, etc. for it. I even put out a call for unwanted orange remnants here on the board and a few kind souls actually had some. It's not a color that one finds a lot of.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 PM

awesome link, thanks! :)
Old 10-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Think Colors just trend like all other items, who'd a thunk Brown and pink would be so hot? used some not so long ago but was from an older area of the stash, and like to put with kids to brights up, somthing that sometimes be too fluffy, adds the bold right to it Good luck finding it.