Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have their scissors sharpened? >

Anyone have their scissors sharpened?

Anyone have their scissors sharpened?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult
I have 9 different Gingher scissors. I send them all back to Gingher about every three years. They come back better than new. I think the current cost is about $7 a pair and they pay the postage. I have the address if anyone wants it.
Ardelle, thanks for the information. I just Googled Gingher and printed out the address and information I need. Thank you very much - never thought about that. Having a "duh" moment.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by pc1camp
I ALWAYS send my Ginger's back to the factory. Some of the others just butcher them. I send my Cutco kitchen knives back to the factory, also. Have a whole set and they are 47 years old and perfect. It usually about $3.00. I have taken them to the Houston Show and they have several guys there, but usually don't take my Gingers.

Peggy
Peggy, I also have Cutco knives and love them, but never thought about sending them to Cutco for sharpening. Will give that a try. Thanks for the information :-)
Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 PM

Shequilts - big hugs to you for starting this thread! I have a pair of Gingher shears that I can't use because they are so dull, and I never used them on anything but fabric, so don't know how it happened. Now, I look forward to having them perform like new. Thank you so much. Thanks to you and the others who responded, I also plan to have my Cutco knives sharpened for the fist time in about 25 years. I'm so excited! Thank you, Thank you.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:49 AM

Dahling, the one doing the sharpening makes all the difference.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 AM

Please get a "pro" to do it and DO NOT, I repeat - DO NOT mention it to your (well actually, my) husband! He dragged out the knife sharpener and proceeded to sharpen my sewing shears and my kitchen shears. I know he was trying to be helpful (being retired and all), but I am now in the market for new kitchen and sewing shears as neither pair will even cut a piece of paper......sigh
Thank goodnessI love to shop - lol!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Brenda, they will resharpen and if anything is wrong that that does not help, they will replace it at no charge. Get on the web and find their address. I just wrap them well in newspaper and pick in box or take to one of the wrapping mailing places and let them box. They will be as good as new.

Peggy
Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
Originally Posted by shequilts
I have some wonderful Gingher scissors that are beginning to dull. Has anyone had theirs professionally sharpened? I've heard that, like a knife, they will not hold an "edge" well after sharpening. Does anybody know? There is a man who comes to our local Hancock's once a month.
As you can see, I'm very protective about my toys.
This is not true if they are done correctly. My DH keeps my scissors sharpened and he does a wonderful job. He also took a pair of my smaller Fiskars and shortened the blades to about 1" in length and put a new edge on them. They are terrific for cutting rag blankets. He says with short blades and a long handle you don't have to squeeze the handles together very hard to get a lot of force applied to the blades. Whatever the reason, it really works. He also sharpens scissors for the members of our quilt guild.
Sounds like your DH is very talented. From all the responses to this thread he could have a successful side business.

:!: :!: :!:
Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sharon Chaffino
Nothing stays sharp forever, even us unfortunately.
HEY! I resemble that remark. I'm still as sharp as - oh, what the heck was that saying?! Dang......Never mind! lol
Old 10-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Hi, When you mail your sissors back to the company do they tell you how to package them, so that the point doesnt come thru the [packing.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I sent my pinking shear out to be sharpened. I went to Hancock's, I was very happy with the work he did.
This is good to know.... I was wondering if I could have the pinking shears sharpened. THANKS!