Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one??? >

Am I the only one???

Am I the only one???

Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I don't think I would ever sew if I had to go to a room to do it. I sew at the kitchen table and I love it even though I have to haul stuff from here to there I have just about everything I need except fabric and even then I have what I am working on in portable plasitc containers with locking lids. So I grab the notions container and the project contanier and go to the kitchen table.
This allows me to watch tv, the kids (they are little so need supervision), the dogs, I can make dinner. It makes multi tasking much easier sewing at the kitchen table.
Like I said honest to goodness if I had to go some place away from everyone/everything else in the house to sew, I would never make it in there to get anything done!
I totally agree with you. I sew on our dining room table. Our kids are grown and I could easily convert one of the bedrooms into a sewing room but then I would miss all of the action, like watching the birds, squirrels, rabbits and deer in the yard. Also there is just a warm feeling when one is in the kitchen and of course in our kitchen we have abundant sunshine. I just love it. All of my fabric and sewing notions are in one of the bedrooms but I need the exercise running back and forth for needed items so I don't complain one bit about not having a dedicated sewing room.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 AM

We live full-time in a 34" fifth wheel. So I definitely havde a challenge. Thankfully, my husband has wanted me to quilt for years since he grew up watching his grandmother hand quilt. So, he doesn't mind the mess as long as I'm quilting.

Sara
Old 11-09-2010, 06:49 AM

I feel your pain...I too am looking forward to the day when I can have my son's room for sewing-not looking forward to son moving out, but I know he will soon. Now, I have a corner in our guest room-I clean it up when we have guests, but for the most part it stays clean except for the occasional strings and fabric clippings. My machine sits on top of one of the old kidney shaped vanities and I have all my notions in plastic containers stacked to my left which also serves as a handy holder for my seam ripper, scissors, etc. so they are close by when needed. My fabric stash is hidden in a 5 drawer chest and a huge cedar chest in the guest room so I at least have everything in one room. I prefer sewing in a room away from distractions so this works well for me!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 AM

I'm lucky enough to have a sewing room now but I remember when.... At one point it was the dining room table with my things stashed all over the house, then I got a small corner of a room and set up my work area. One time I even had things set up in a walk-in closet with clothes and such in 1 area and my sewing just as you went into the closet. It was close but it worked. As they say, this too shall pass. LOL. Enjoy your sewing and your kids. You're making memories for all of you.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Since mats tend to curl, my dh bought a peg-board panel & s-like hooks to hang my mats, stencils, etc. on. It's a great space saver & keeps everything handy.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 AM

Oh, boy, do I remember that! I just recently converted a bedroom into a sewing room - but left a pull out love seat just in case I needed it. Took me years to get a room dedicated to just quilting. Have faith... it will happen.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 AM

I started sewing young and the machine was always in my moms room. When I got my own home it was in the dining room and when raising the kids it was whever there was a place to sit it. I now have my own space and while I love being able to leave things all over the place until I am finished with the project, I would rather have the kids or grandkids under my feet.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM

The first quilt I made, (a queen size) my husband and I were living in a 587 SF, one-bedroom apt, with a dog and a cat. I had a Singer sewing machine table and my bed to use for quilting. Oh, I also had a top to a night table that I would take into the living room, put on the floor and use it to cut on. All of my quilt supplies were on top of the dog's crate, which was at the foot of our bed. When I finished the quilt, there was not enough floor space ANYWHERE to spread it out. I sent it to my daughter in Cuba, so I have never seen it opened up completely. My husband never complained that he had to wait for me to clear the bed so he could call it a night. He has since passed, but those were the happiest days of our marriage.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Been there, done that!!! I've been making a sewing nest for myself this fall...oldest two daughters got married and I've gained some space, but it's bittersweet. Enjoy your children, they will grow up all too soon!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:35 AM

I have 5 bedrooms- as each one was taken over my sewing & quilting things have been put in different places. Now all are in my closet (no room)and the dining room table is where I have to sew and it is used every day to eat!! I have my daughter her son her daughter and now a great grand child.