Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one??? >

Am I the only one???

Am I the only one???

Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Banned

I have to haul everything out to the kitchen every day to sew....ugh. I was just curious if I was the only one? I am not lucky enough to have space in our small house for my quilting stuff. My sewing machine and sewing box are on my dresser. My rotary mat and rulers are in my childs room behind her dresser. And my tubs of fabric and projects are in my daughters closet. Please tell me that someone else has the same problem????
Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 AM

ME ME ME. I use a small corner in the living room to sew.I use the kitchen table to do my cutting and pressing.Have quilt supplies stored in different places.Someday I;ll have my sewing room back
Old 11-08-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
I have to haul everything out to the kitchen every day to sew....ugh. I was just curious if I was the only one? I am not lucky enough to have space in our small house for my quilting stuff. My sewing machine and sewing box are on my dresser. My rotary mat and rulers are in my childs room behind her dresser. And my tubs of fabric and projects are in my daughters closet. Please tell me that someone else has the same problem????
Yep! I remember those days. I now have my own sewing studio in my basement. But when my kids were young, my sewing machine was in the dark entranceway by the front door; all my sewing supplies and fabric were on a shelf & in a box in my daughter's closet. The ironing board was in another closet. Then I graduated to having it all in the basement on the ping pong table so I could sew while the kids were playing; you know how well that worked. Just hang in there; we sewers and quilters are very strong willed people and will continue with our love of fabric no matter how hard "life" treats us.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 AM

This is just the post I needed today actually. I am blessed to have a room just for my sewing stuff - no, it's not large, but it's large enough for me to go into without others bringing their stuff to add to my own 'mess.' I LOVE to quilt downstairs on the dining room table - so that I'm with everyone else. BUT this makes for a very messy downstairs. My husband has been in Haiti this past week and I promised him that before he returns (TODAY!) that I would have the downstairs clear of my fabric stuff - I do have ONE room done - another will be done before he returns and the other two will be done tomorrow. I am sure that you will one day have plenty of space to sew in your own room. Enjoy your kids now, while they are little - that time will go by far too quickly.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Banned

While I am lucky enough to have my own sewing space now, we spent 4 years living fulltime in our RV, so I know EXACTLY how you feel!

I'd drag out my machines, one set up over on the built in desk to do embroidery, the other on my portable SewEzi table for quilting and sewing... I'd set my serger on the end of the SewEzi when I needed to use it.

I only had the small RV dining table to work on, and would have to move my stuff for every meal.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121424.jpe  
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 AM

You are not the only one. I used to have to sew on the dining room table, which was the family eating spot because the kitchen was just a galley. The ironing board was set up in front of a coat closet. The fabric was stored in the basement.
Needless to say, weekends in the winter where stressful, because although I wanted to be inside all day sewing contentedly, my husband always loved to cook meals on the weekends, and he likes to eat on schedule too. As soon as I would get into a ryhtym on Saturday morning or Sunday morning, it was time to clear everything off for lunch. Same thing for late afternoon and dinner time. Plus if there was snow, my husband would be needing this jacket or another jacket from the closet behind the ironing board, and he sent the iron to the floor many times in his haste and annoyance. Quilt blocks were laid on the living room carpet as my design wall, and I would stand on the couch to look down on my arrangements. Yes, the cats would 'dive' into the blocks and mess them up. We lived in that tiny space for a long time, saving up for our own house.

Now, I do have a dedicated sewing room and I feel very blessed indeed. Hang in there. Quilters are strong, determined, and resourceful!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 AM

I feel for you..i had my stuff all spread out through the house too ,at one time.
i was lucky ,my husband never complained about the Kitchen table having the sewing machine on it..it would be there for days at a time. i never cleaned it up, until i was done, i just pushed it outof the way to serve dinner.
now i have taken over a bedroom for my sewing. the ironing board still ends up in the kitchen..
i still manage to bring out my travel machine in the kitchen, so i can sew and be around him..my kitchen and living room is open..we took the wall down between them. he doesn't seem to mind, that even though i have a dedicated room, i still occasionally sew in the kitchen!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 AM

Me too - I keep everything in the hall closet and drag it to the kitchen. Sometimes I leave it all up on an ironing board in the corner of the kitchen until I finish whatever's spread around. I use the kitchen table to sew and the kitchen island to measure and cut.

Someday....
Old 11-08-2010, 05:17 AM

Used to have a dedicated sewing room, until a younger brother moved in after a stroke. Now I have a table in the corner of my small bed room with some sewing stuff on it. Every time I want to sew I move everything off the table onto my bed and of course at bed time it all has to go back on the table. Have a couple boxes of fabric under the table, a couple beside the dresser one in the closed and the rest of my sewing stuff is in a small store room int eh basement. Very inconvenient, but hopefully will not last for ever - at least I do get to sew!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 AM

I don't think I would ever sew if I had to go to a room to do it. I sew at the kitchen table and I love it even though I have to haul stuff from here to there I have just about everything I need except fabric and even then I have what I am working on in portable plasitc containers with locking lids. So I grab the notions container and the project contanier and go to the kitchen table.
This allows me to watch tv, the kids (they are little so need supervision), the dogs, I can make dinner. It makes multi tasking much easier sewing at the kitchen table.
Like I said honest to goodness if I had to go some place away from everyone/everything else in the house to sew, I would never make it in there to get anything done!