Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one??? >

Am I the only one???

Am I the only one???

Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

I can relate...my kitchen table (we eat at) is my sewing table................BUT only monday thru friday 8am-3pm ONLY it is my sewing table.
Originally Posted by JenniePenny
You are not the only one. I used to have to sew on the dining room table, which was the family eating spot because the kitchen was just a galley. The ironing board was set up in front of a coat closet. The fabric was stored in the basement.
Needless to say, weekends in the winter where stressful, because although I wanted to be inside all day sewing contentedly, my husband always loved to cook meals on the weekends, and he likes to eat on schedule too. As soon as I would get into a ryhtym on Saturday morning or Sunday morning, it was time to clear everything off for lunch. Same thing for late afternoon and dinner time. Plus if there was snow, my husband would be needing this jacket or another jacket from the closet behind the ironing board, and he sent the iron to the floor many times in his haste and annoyance. Quilt blocks were laid on the living room carpet as my design wall, and I would stand on the couch to look down on my arrangements. Yes, the cats would 'dive' into the blocks and mess them up. We lived in that tiny space for a long time, saving up for our own house.

Now, I do have a dedicated sewing room and I feel very blessed indeed. Hang in there. Quilters are strong, determined, and resourceful!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Banned

I sometimes wonder that same thing about me....would I want to be away from the kids, the tv, the radio, the dog during the day when I sew....? probably not but I still like to dream.
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I don't think I would ever sew if I had to go to a room to do it. I sew at the kitchen table and I love it even though I have to haul stuff from here to there I have just about everything I need except fabric and even then I have what I am working on in portable plasitc containers with locking lids. So I grab the notions container and the project contanier and go to the kitchen table.
This allows me to watch tv, the kids (they are little so need supervision), the dogs, I can make dinner. It makes multi tasking much easier sewing at the kitchen table.
Like I said honest to goodness if I had to go some place away from everyone/everything else in the house to sew, I would never make it in there to get anything done!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM

I thought it would be nice to keep my mess in my bedroom....I was sewing on my nightstand....my back was screaming at me...so I moved my mess to the kitchen and let every one eat in the living room....lol My next house is going to have a garage....this simply wont do anymore.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I used to, now I use the whole house.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Well, when you have little kids & such, you do need to be in the same room with them, & multi-tasking is good too. But, there will come a day, when having your own space, or studio, is a blessing! That & be able to leave it all out, leave room, then come back & pick up where you left off. That's what I love. As for missing tv or anything, I have all that in there too, if I need it, but mostly, I just enjoy the quiet atmosphere to work, & play, in...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

My stuff is all over the place and it is very annoying. Short of moving or adding onto the house there is no good solution. Drats!!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I used to until my kids all moved out :wink: :D:D:D
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM

I started out on my kitchen table, then later on moved to the living room in a small corner. And before you know it, the kids are grown and gone and now I have a small bedroom just for "my sewing room" that I absolutely love! But when I am machine quilting a quilt, guess what - I am back in the kitchen on the large kitchen table again!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
All of my stuff is in our bedroom, so hubby gets to listen to the purr of the machine while he watches t.v. Sorry hubby! I have been tempted to haul everything out into the living room, but that may be worse! At least i'm lucky enough not to have to put things away every day.
I also sew in my bedroom. I decided to turn our closet into a sew area. So hubby pulled the doors off and built me a 8 foot table and shelves. I thought who needs clothes. Our clothes now hang over the washer dryer. :lol:
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM

I have a breezeway with all of my sewing stuff. Although it has windows it still isn't like sitting at the kitchen table where it is brighter & have a big window to look out. Also I have a big kitchen penninsula where it is perfect for cutting. So my kitchen is where I prefer to sew.
I can get away with it more than some though because I am single & an empty nester. My GS has lived with me almost a year but he is moving out this week-end to his own place. So if you come to my house for coffee... call ahead! I'll make room for you to sit at my table! LOL