Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one??? >

Am I the only one???

Am I the only one???

Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 PM

yep I know how that goes up until a couple of my kids moved out and the hubby and i remodel there bedrooms , the kitchen table and i spent a lot of time together sewing! but now i have my own sewing room upstairs after a lot of hard work getting it done , i must say i kinda miss being downstairs were all the action was!!! now i am upstairs where it is quiet and kinda lonely sometimes!!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 PM

You are not alone. As many people have said they have been through this stage. I too am still there but I now have a small drop leaf table in a corner of our bedroom so when I want to sew I don't have to use the dining room table anymore. I still need to move stuff around so I can pull out the leaf and sew but it has helped. I have some stuff in washing baskets under our bed. I watch this site and drool over others rooms and dream of mine one day. Looking at your avatar I see it hasn't stopped you and don't let it. The moment of our own space will be so much sweeter. I look forward to it!!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:19 AM

Hi There.
Trust me you are not alone, you should see my place,
I live in a tiny two room unit, yes two room. lol
I also knit for charity, so I have the extra problem of stacks of wool also.
My sewing machine is under my computer desk, my cutting mat is down the side of the fridge, my fabric is where ever I can stash it, and all my cottons, and sewing needs are in a draw.
So rest easy, you are not alone.
Regards Marlene.
Bendigo Victoria.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 AM
Banned

Honestly I envy you, I have never traveled and can't wait to do that some day...I already told my husband I want a large RV to drive around the country in when we retire.
Originally Posted by jsmith3151
From the picture, looks like a 5th wheel? I am on my 5th year in a RV. Finally took out a couch this summer, moved the other one to the other side of room and I finally have a sewing table that folds down quite small. No more 6 ft. table in the middle of the floor. Sure do miss my sewing room I gave up - miss my house too!! Hopefully someday he will get tired of this way of life!!
:D
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 AM
Banned

Very cool, love the idea.
Originally Posted by Prissnboot
You are not the only one. I live in a 1 bedroom apt, and my bedroom is my sanctuary, and will remain undisturbed, but I still want to have a dining room now and then, not a whatever-I'm-in-the-middle-of-at-the-moment room. So my friend (he's so handy to have around) helped me come up with the concept in the photos. I love it because when I have company I can just hide everything behind the curtains and be done with it. I bought the curtains for about $35 I think (2 sets obviously), and the shelves, support, rods, etc. - I think it was done with less than $150. I've since purchased more shelves (set of 4 for $20 from Craigslist) to further surround the other 2 walls of the room for more fabric storage.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 AM
Banned

hahaha
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I don't have a sewing room or even like a designated table someplace in a room. The room I rent out at my mom's is very tiny to begin with, but with all my stuff like the TV, mattress, etc. there's hardly any space to move around. The space I sew in is between the bed and the sliding closet door, which is wide enough to put down the stand you would typically use to eat TV dinners in the living room. And the sewing machine barely fits on that. Whenever I have to press anything I have to put the sewing machine on the floor and then iron on the stand. Don't ask me how I'm able to sew on such a tiny set up because I'm not entirely sure how I do it either.

Last Halloween I remember staying at a friend's house to work on their kid's costume and I sewed on the little guy's plastic table and sat in his little plastic chair (as ridiculous as it sounds, I am tiny so I was actually able to sit in it). And I thought, "This is better than the set up at home!" lol
Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 AM

I have space, but no tables to cut or sew. I too, use the kitchen table to cut and sew, the ironing board is in the living room, and containers of fabric stacked in front of the fireplace. Also, since DH is out to sea on deployment, this mess has to get cleaned up before he returns...
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 AM

I sew in my bedroom, used to be in the living room but it started taking over! I bought a 3 bedroom house (for my dtr and myself) with the idea to use the 3rd bedroom for a sewing room. That didn't last 3 months before my niece came tolive with us! My sewing space has been in just about every room in the house. My dream is to have a sewing room and a bathroom to call my own! LOL
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I have my own sewing room but guess what?? I keep using the kitchen table to cut, sometimes I set up my Featherweight to sew. There's something about being in the kitchen that makes me happy when I sew. All summer I watched the baseball games on TV and my kitchen was a wreck. Sewing stuff all over. I don't have a TV in my sewing room and don't want one.
I think I just like to sew in the kitchen :D
The kitchen is the heart of the home. Mine is completely open to the family room, its where everything happens, so when I go to my sewing room I feel isolated, however I have an extra chair in there and when dh feels deserted, he comes in and sits a spell to visit. I would sew in that kitchen family room in a heartbeat, but then no one would get any meals. Hubby likes to repair old Singer machines, and guess what I ususally have to remove from the island when it is time to cook and eat. :D
Old 11-10-2010, 06:44 AM

I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment with hubby and 3 smallish sons. There is a small (and I mean SMALL) closet in the livingroom that holds all my stuff except the machine. She sits in her rolling trolley thing next to the tv for easy access. Mostly because her trolley doesn't fit in the closet. I have a small bookcase in there to hold even smaller tubs. My stash, if you want to call it that, can fit in 2 large Joann's bags and are in the closet. I tend to buy just over what I need for a project to increase my stash a teensy bit at a time. Someday, when we buy a house, or the kids grow up and move out, I'll have more space.

I can fit a small ironing board, my machine, and my mat on our diningroom table. Problem is, it takes up the whole dang room so anyone that needs to get to the kitchen I have to get up, move the table to let them through, then move it back to sit comfortably. My kids have learned when they need to get through, they have to come in and pick up the iron so it doesn't fall off the table when I move it. I have them trained!

By the size of this thread, you can see how you are definitely NOT the only one.