Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM

Sorry it's a double post
Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm sorry you had this kind of treatment. I used to work at our LQS and we had male quilters come in sometimes. We treated them with the same respect that we gave our female customers. Some of the worlds best designers are men. The world is changing and becoming more gender neutral. There are women race car drivers so why not men quilters. Both men and women are serving our cuntry in the military. I think we should be able to do what we enjoy and because you enjoy quilting..good for you!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by magnolia
Sorry, for your trouble Chris. I am not a male. However, I am a young quilter, 27. And I often feel the same way. I don't really feel welcomed by most of my guild (only a couple people) and some shops the workers just look at me as a pesky little kid (I look younger than 27). The shop closest to my house I think is the best. They actively try and recruit young people and men. Everytime a young person comes in or a man they want to help as much as possible. They never assume the men are there because the wife is the quilter, unless the man sits on the couch and has that glazed over look-haha. I was there the other day and a man came in with his wife, his wife sat on the couch and the husband started looking around. The owner asked if he needed help and he was surprised-he said he brought his wife as back-up because he's never offered help.
I understand this one... I'm one of the youngest in the guild... now I'm the VP I'm sure i'm ging to ruffle a few feathers but They are going to have to learn to deal with it. The stereo types but out there are crazy. We have 2 men in our guild. For the longest time it was just one. So I'm sure there are many men out there in the same boat as you are Chris.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM

I can only wish I will ever be a good as the male quilters on this board.Don't get me wrong the females are great too but just seeing something a guy has made sometimes shocks me. I know guys can quilt just as well as females, you just don't see it alot. What I wouldn't do to sit down with them and learn a thing or two. :thumbup:
Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Chris, Sorry to hear this. I just don't get this mentality of others- for whatever their reasons. I'm going off on a tangent here: Funny thing is I hate to sew by hand, but my husband's work is beautiful. He also taught me how to iron; I stink at ironing clothes. He also does a better job at folding laundry and washing dishes. And he has taught me so much. So, there is so much that we can learn from each other.
Anyway, you are welcome here!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM

eagelesbeak, I just don't understand why it would freak women out to have a man in their class. It seems very unusual to me. We have 3 men in my guild and some of the other guilds in the area have men there too. Some of the men put out the most creative quilts at the shows! Persevere and take solace in fact that this group is here to help and support you!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by genghis khan
As a guy who quilts its as simple as this for me, if i cant make nice with people at lqs then its time to mess with them and be done with the situation. lol
lol yea I hear that one

the only thing is that they are also one of the few people in my area that fix my machine too sigh
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM

thank you Anna
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
...the only thing is that they are also one of the few people in my area that fix my machine too sigh
Here are a few links I found for your area.
Stores:
http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/stores/?state=IN
http://www.killbuckcreekquilts.com/Favorites.html
Guilds:
http://mevequiltguild.blogspot.com/
http://www.quiltguilds.com/indiana.htm

piney
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM

thanks Pinecone