Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you stay focused? >
  • How do you stay focused?

• How do you stay focused?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM

I focus on the quilt I'm working on by turning on my computer. I have music downloaded on it, and I didn't put a tv in my quilt room cause I knew I could be distracted. I just listen to listen to music and quilt away. I couldn't stay focused otherwise.
    Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 PM

just call it multi-tasking...i think we quilters are very talented.. :mrgreen:
    Old 12-22-2010, 06:12 AM

I have the attention span of a gnat. I guess that is why I have so many UFOs.
    Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 AM

Lol in general, my attention span would insult a gnat.
    Old 12-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
    I say about myself that I have the attention span of an 8-year old, so I share your problem. One helpful thing (for me) is making a list and I try to make myself do those things before I start sewing, computer time, etc. Then sometimes I remember that I retired almost nine years ago, and everything gets done in time, so why should I try to be structured and that I should just go with the flow. I don't have the answer, but I surely have the problem!
    I have the problem also -- big time! One thing I do to help keep me focused is make a list. But unlike Jill, I list the things I want done in the quilting dept. And I check it off as I accomplish it. On that day, everything is left to the wayside. (Sorry, but that's how it is.) Another thing I do is, instead of sewing assembly line style. I do one block at a time. I find more satisfaction in doing it this way. All of those unfinished blocks drive me batty.
    Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I like to wander and take frequent breaks, but I usually stick to the same project until fininshed. There's no such thing as a time frame at my house.
    Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM
    Power Poster

I call this multi tasking.
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Some days I can't focus, other times I can't fall asleep as I'm restless over projects. I've been known to go to bed, get up after an hour of tossing and turning, and work through the night finishing a project. And not because I have a deadline - I do this for fun. That project might be something I didn't touch at all the day before.

I just go with it, an hour of a project, an hour doing something else - they say moving around every hour is good to do. But if I'm on a roll, I can sit at my machine forever!
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 PM

There are a bazillion websites with advice on how to stay focused on tasks. Just Google how to stay focused and start reading. I treat quilting like any other job, establish a regular schedule, set priorities, take breaks every hour, all that kind of stuff. Good luck to you.
    Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 AM

Boy, am I not alone! My sis told me this summer that when I was young, and to this day, I was a classic ADD. Mom didn't know what to do with me. Maybe there is something about us creative folks that is accompanied by attention problems. No problems at work, deadlines, structure, etc. Another thing, when something is not "just right" I can't continue, must walk away till the solution presents it'self.
    My younger son was diagnosed with ADD, by a neurologist, and with medication and ld support, outgrew it. I haven't. When someone starts in on not giving meds to "real" ADD/ADHD, you know that they have not been down that road. Ignoring a problem like that in a child can lead to a child not finishing high school.
    I feel much better now, thanks for listening to my rant.