Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:38 AM

YOU are not selfish!! I quilt for charity and I pray that they appreciate it. I have seen people labor over quilts that I would die for and have seen them with my own eyes in the back of the trunk of a car used for car parts. You know where it is appreciated and where it is not. I quilt for myself first. If someone expresses an interest in something then I will possibly make it for them. There is too much time and effort to give to someone who doesn't appreciate it. Give them a gift card and send them on their way.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 AM

A few years ago my daughter asked me to help my grandchildren to make gifts for their family for Christmas. Together we have discovered many handmade projects and the two older ones have done a lot of sewing. I believe this hands on experience is giving them a better appreciation for the value of work done by hand and with love. I'm thinking that after the depression and war years were over, too many families lost those skills and they have not been passed along.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 AM

I thought I'd heard everything until someone referred to a quilt I'd made her as a "blanket." Sigh!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 AM
Banned

Since I don't have a longarm I take my quilts to someone & I usually have custom quilting done
which makes it an expensive gift for people that aren't truly appreciative.
(I have $500 invested in a queen ...just material and quilting charge...no labor on my part)
So....so far I've only given to immediately family and one friend (suffered a stroke).

I HAVE donated my time in piecing and cost of some of the fabrics (for sisters) but they pay for the quilting.
(hence the reason DH wants me to SELL some!)
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 AM

I agree with you I have given quilts before I learned to be careful and they ended up in garage sales as just something home made now I have 22 on my spare bed and will give some of them when someone drools over them and acts like they really want one some though have won so many ribbons those I keep though I don't know what for
Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 AM

Sunnycat I can totally relate! It would be my own family just as you described yours. They don't tell anyone I quilt or even ask what I'm working on..nothing. My daughter and son both appreciate them and that is what I focus on. No selfishness there, just make one for someone who would appreciate it AFTER you have made some for your new home.
Thanks for your post, I really thought I was the only one with a family like that. Keep quilting!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Sorry this is the way your family is - I only do for those who will appreciate it - i have some things my mother made that I really love, but there are many people out there who do not appreciate homemade crafts. Their loss
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 AM

I can relate too! I quilt to make myself happy and for the process. I make some things for my son and daughter but I find that most other people I know-family and friends- don't appreciate or understand the time and expense that goes into my projects. There is no quilting lawbook that says "a good quilter is a quilter that gives all her quilts away". I don't think you are selfish at all- we should all just enjoy our hobby and do what makes us the happiest.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 AM

Many handmade gifts seem much appreciated, my very loving and generous Mom taught me that the love that you give to others is the love that comes back to you.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 AM

My family always made things from scratch to decorate the house or were actual functional items. I can think of a lamp my Dad made, when they couldn't find one to buy to meet their satisfaction for a certain area in the house. Handmade is always better, in our family.
So far, I've made each of my son's an Art Quilt to hang in their bedroom's. They chose the fabric and a OBW was created especially for them. I also made a OBW for dear friends to hang on their wall in their home. To this date, those are the largest quilts I've given away, but have also made many table runners and placemats. For sure, don't give a quilt to someone who won't appreciate it and treasure it and not abuse it.