"Weigh In"

Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Got on the scale today, and have not lost anything this week. But I have not gained. Right now I consider that good.

I learned last week that my dad is having heart problems, and Mom called tonight with the news that he goes in for bypass surgery tomorrow morning. So I will be leaving to be with her for a while. It may be a week before I get back here.

In the meantime, three cheers for everyone! You are all doing well, even when you slip a little. Just get back up when you fall, and start again.

Purplemem, careful. Use something for balance, maybe, to keep from falling. Hope you are doing better soon.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM

So happy to see those loosing weight! Keep up the good work.
I am sad to say my number is not so good...I gained 3 :-( Maybe I can blame it on the CSF buildup? No...I just am stuck I guess. Not being able to work out right does not help. I eat as right as I can but days when the IH flares it is hard.
Keep up the good work everyone!
Hugs
April
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM

What is IH?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
What is IH?
Intracranial Hypertension. The cerebrospinal fluid does not circulate or drain properly in my brain so it causes pressure on it and my eyes. I had a shunt put in in July to help alleviate it but the shunt hiccups intermittently so the buildup gets pretty bad sometimes. I am probably going to have to have a new one put in soon :-( If they continue to fail in the spine it will end up in my brain. If the pressure builds too much it can cause blindness :-(
Thank you for asking.
Hugs
April
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
CHF is congestive heart failure. I accumulate fluid around my heart and have to take diuretics to lose it or be hospitalized. When I get too tired and stressed it is the first thing we look at. Almost all my sudden weight gain can be attributed to this. Unfortunately, I can't blame all my 200 plus pounds on that.
Oh, ok. That makes sense. Please take care of yourself. Get your rest. I am pulling for you and want to know how you are doing.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM

Nice weight losses ladies.
I just want to say that you are all in inspiration to me. Many of you have some pretty difficult roadblocks, yet you keep coming back and at least checking in. Keep moving forward. Forgive yourself for not doing as well as you think you should have. If you are here, you are doing something to improve your health.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
I am sad to say my number is not so good...I gained 3 :-( Maybe I can blame it on the CSF buildup? No...I just am stuck I guess. Not being able to work out right does not help. I eat as right as I can but days when the IH flares it is hard.
Hugs
April
So, what is CSF? I'm not sure I have heard of that. IH I didn't know, but you already explained. It sounds pretty tough. I thought they always put the shunt at the base of the brain so it will drain properly.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Hugs
April
Hope you will have a better day tomorrow, April. You are doing what you can, and that is all anyone can ask. It is difficult enough to lose weight when totally healthy, let alone with physical problems. Hang in there. Even if it takes a long time, we will cheer you on. :-) I know I will be here for many months. Try to remember, you are not just trying to lose weight. Whatever changes you make will, in the long-run, make you healthier.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
So, what is CSF? I'm not sure I have heard of that. IH I didn't know, but you already explained. It sounds pretty tough. I thought they always put the shunt at the base of the brain so it will drain properly.
Hi Gwyn,
CSF=Cerebrospinal fluid.
They place the shunt dependent on need. They try to do the brain as a last option because the risk of intracranial bleeding during surgery is so high. They hesitate to do it in the spine because they tend to clog easier from protein buildup. It is hard with what I have because the shunt could pull too much fluid and cause a medical condition I can not pronounce nor spell but essentially it makes the brain sag which can be life threatening. I just continue to plug away and try my hardest :-)
Hugs
April
Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Hope you will have a better day tomorrow, April. You are doing what you can, and that is all anyone can ask. It is difficult enough to lose weight when totally healthy, let alone with physical problems. Hang in there. Even if it takes a long time, we will cheer you on. :-) I know I will be here for many months. Try to remember, you are not just trying to lose weight. Whatever changes you make will, in the long-run, make you healthier.
HI Brenda,
Thank you so much. I hope in time all will be better. I am trying to get the weight off more for health then anything else. The doctor is sure it would help alleviate my condition quite a bit if I lost the excess weight. One day at a time, one smile at a time I will get there :-) Thank you for the words of encouragement-they mean so very much to me!
Hugs
April