Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-15-2022, 10:01 AM

SuzSLO: I love the disappearing shoo fly. Those red circles certainly do finish it off nicely.

I spent much of yesterday, playing with EQ to draft a slightly different layout, as I don't really like the butterflies on point. Thought I had it all figured out, but alas, I woke up in the middle of the night deciding that I probably wasn't going to be happy with the new layout - and of course couldn't get back to sleep as various layout options kept swirling through my head. Talk about how quilters think! I love both blocks, but I decided that I just don't love them together. So at this point, I'm leaning towards making two quilts - one with the A blocks and the flying geese border, and another with the B blocks, although I haven't thought that one through yet.

Not sure how much I'm going to get done today. The dogs are pestering me for a walk, but it's -2 degrees here, so it will have to be a short one. Then there's groceries. And did I mention that I spent yesterday playing with Eq so I haven't even started cleaning the house yet? At least it's a four day weekend for me!
Old 01-15-2022, 11:43 AM

I just want to unlurk to say THANKS for the "vicarious mystery quilt adventure". Living through you all has been inspirational.

I may do this quilt now, except change the color scheme for the most part. I love the "butterfly chain" concept. I'm not super keen on the alternating block that she uses with it, so who knows what morphing I will do, but if I do her block, pink flowers may become purplish. I also think I'll replace yellow with spring green and then maybe do a yellow ochre coloration for the aqua garden fence, or maybe a "wood" print. I think I'll also skip the flying geese border.

I appreciate your devotion to this mystery. Reading through today may have really helped me perhaps come out of my quilting slump. We'll see!

Thank you all again.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:34 PM

Toverly, Thank you for the heads up on the templates. I will be sure to check mine and probably would not have unless you said to.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Toverly, Thank you for the heads up on the templates. I will be sure to check mine and probably would not have unless you said to.
Because these are to “fudge” the borders, I would guess that the best idea is to wait until piecing the border so you know the size you need.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:52 PM

Iceblossom Thank you for the Clothworks link. I enjoyed watching and am off to do some research as far as who carries it and palette. I didn’t know that they were American made. If the colors are stable like Kona that is a huge plus......I use Kona Snow for most things because it’s so easy to just buy a few yards every so often but would love to be able to do that with American made.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:39 PM

Since I only made 1/2 of the blocks, I changed the sashing to 2.5" instead of 1" and used the remaining hourglass blocks as part of the sashing. Here is a picture of what I have so far. I will put the fling geese around the outside.
Attached Thumbnails 100_1282.jpg  
Old 01-16-2022, 05:47 AM

QueenBarbiej: Your quilt top is lovely. Great work. How wide is it so far?
Old 01-16-2022, 06:17 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I believe I started making Bonnie hunter mystery quilts Wayback in 2015. I remember the first reveal and how some people changed it up. I was appalled! I thought we had to copy exactly what Bonnie said and created . It bothered me to think others could improve on her designs. Then I read her responses where she said good for you go for it make the quilt your own. Wow did that give me permission to do it my way. That said I think I will make this quilt a little smaller and make the border a little quieter. I am making this for my great granddaughter who is only a year and a half but I want her to have some thing that I made while I still could! Happy Sewing we are expecting 15 or so inches of snow in the next few days.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

TeresaA- I'm so glad you enjoyed this thread. We've had a great time and there has been lots of encouragement.
Queen- looks lovely!

I worked on the first step of the last clue- the 9 and 9 blocks. Today I hope to lay things out.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:32 AM

Everyone is so industrious!

Queenbarbiej, that looks wonderful. I love how the hourglasses look as part of the sashing.

I am plodding along at a slow pace, working on my clue 4s.