Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you use a pressure cooker? >

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 AM

I had a friend who would use her pressure cooker to cook oxtail for soup. (she made the best soup out of it...)
Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 AM

I got one for my first xmas after we got married, soon to be 45 yrs ago. I use it all the time mostly for vegies. I don't use it for meat but I know people who do. I love mine. Just follow the directions and you will be safe.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM

I love mine. If you follow directions it won't blow up! Usually the only change I make is that it takes less liquid sometimes than is called for.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM

I have a Presto Cookere also and use it all the time, especially in the summer to cook my beets. No more splattering all over the stove. I also have a pressure cooker I use for canning. You just have to watch it and not set it on the stove and walk away. When my petcock on the Presto cooker starts jiggling I turn the temp down to medium and know it won't blow. My mother got burned from a waterless cooker she used one time to cook corn. Never used it after that.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM

I had just bought myself a new one when hubby burned the house down, I guess I will have to buy a new one when the insurance comes thru. STILL waiting but they asure me it is nearly here. maybe I will buy 2 an electric one and a normal one for when we have a power failure they happen quite often where we are. I do miss it, as said in prior posts it does a wonderful roast and the gravy you can make from the juices is so tasty
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Spare ribs and sourcrout?cabbage made into that stuff.Any why,i use to make that in a pressure cooker.Connie in CO
Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM

I have had a pressure cooker blow up on me. Literally. I was raised around them and was cooking beef stew. I had put whole frozen tomatoes in it. I have always cooked on really low heat. The pot had cooked the amount of time it needed to and I had turned it off and waited for it to cool some. I touched the "dinger" with a long knife to see if there was any steam left in. NO hiss. I started turning the handle and it blew all over me. I had instant blisters on my upper body where food landed and steam burns on my hands & lower arms.. DH inspected the lid and there was a tomato seed stuck in the exhaust spout. Thank God I had made the kids leave the kitchen or they would have been burned also. I still use one but am very cautious and it will sit for hours to cool before I will open it. I make sure everything is de-seeded before I put it in the pot.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM

i have an electric one from qvc it is from montel williams . i use it all the time. makes wonderful bbq ribs. i just dont cook them as long cause i like to be able to chew it off the bone not fall off.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM

I love my pressure cooker. It is great for beef roast, potatoes and carrots. Mmmm. I also love it to cook a turkey breast. It comes out so tender and very moist. Also green beans are great cooked with some ham.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 AM

From what I have heard slow cookers use a lot of electricity and pressure cookers are more economical. Read directions carefully and start with recipes included in the accompanying book. My mother used one, she raised eight kids, and I used one when I was raising my three. Never had an explosion.