Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you use a pressure cooker? >

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM

I have a pressure canner for canning and a pressure pot for cooking or canning small batches. The canner has the gauge on it where as the pot just has the steam vent. The modern ones are much more reliable than grandma's where she had to constantly fuss with the steam vents--stand them up or knock them over and different weight ones I never did understand. I've used both my canner and my pot on gas, electric coil & ceramic stove tops with no problems. It was easier to control the heat with a gas stove, though but once you get used to any type stove it's not hard.

Ham & beans have to cook a lot longer and run a much greater chance of running out of water in a slow cooker or non-pressured pot. Tough roasts will melt in your mouth if pressured and mom always drug out the pressure pot to fix old roosters with home-made egg noodles--yum! yum! She also pressure cooked pork neck bones with sauer kraut & potatoes. I guess that's the hillbilly version of corned beef & cabbage--LOL! Can you even buy pork neck bones?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:41 PM

I've used one for canning green beans for aboauat 20 years without difficulty. Have been tempted to get a smaller one for cooking dinner in but wasn't sure if I'd use it or not. I may be inspired.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM

True story. My grandma and I were cooking and I made a mess of the stove. I'm cleaning it and she tells me of her worst kitchen story. She had just finished painting her kitchen white and was so pleased with how the kitchen looked. So she is fixing supper and put some beets in her pressure cooker for dinner. She hears a noise and the plug on her pressure cooker blew and her brand new kitchen is red. I'm having dinner with my parents one evening and we are talking about kitchens. I said that I would be extremely careful cooking in my newly painted kitchen, as I wouldn't want to be cleaning red off my brand new white cabinets like my grandma. My Mom says no the cabinets were light blue and I said no they were white. Then my mom says I was there and they were light blue and she had helped paint them. At the same time we realized that both my grandmas had had their pressure coooker filled with beets explode on their newly painted kitchens. I use a pressure cooker but don't use the lid. :lol:
Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I'm scared of them, so I do the cooking and let my son (29) do the canning for me. It's a great way to stock up!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:12 PM

I used to have one that I used to can with. My ex mother in law taught me how to use it.

Heres a story that I will make short.
My ex sister in law at the time lived in Hawaii where her husband was stationed. One Christmas, my inlaws paid for her and the three little boys to come to Oregon for Christmas. So my sister in law had taken her 3 boys and my 3 girls roller skating. Not a one of the kids new how to skate. So I have my middle daughter in front of me trying to teach her how to skate and she tripped me and I ended up breaking a bunch of bones in my left hand. Anyways I have a cast on. And prior to them coming for Christmas my mother inaw had taught me how to can bacon. We made bacon bits, bacon peices for biscuits and gravy etc. etc. And for this we would buy ends and peices of bacon. So I had bought what seemed to be a ton of bacon ends and peices so I decided to can them. I chopped and chopped...mind you in a plaster cast. When it was time for me to go to the doctors to have the cast changed..hehe the doctor is cutting it open and says "hmm I smell bacon" What had happened, while I was chopping the bacon the smell penetrated the cast. LOL. But that was so funny. I havent made any bacon bits in many years now, but I may have to do that again soon. But first I need a pressure cooker. :)
Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM

I have one, and I use it all the time.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:03 AM

Greetings,
I have a Cusinart electric presure cooker and I could not live with out it, I do everything in it and it keeps your food hot for 12 hours. frozen solid chicken in an hour or less. I still brown most of my meat on the stove i can do it in the cooker though
Sandra
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Vat

I do have one and use it for certain dishes. I do pressure meat (roast, stew meat, chicken, etc.) in mine more than anything because it makes it so very tender. Potatoes and carrots, but not together, for beef stew. Very safe when used correctly.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 AM

When I worked I was always in a hurry to cook a meal and used mine all the time. I loved it. I also have the canner and use it.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 AM

I have used one for over 40 years.