Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you use a pressure cooker? >

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM

I have an electric pressure cooker. I make alot of meals in it. Roast, dried beans, chicken, pork, soups, and fruit deserts. I love it and would recommend it. The main thing to remember is that it get's really hot inside and the steam is coming out all the time, so make sure you have the right amount of liquid for the amount of time you use it. We've burned alot of meals when we first started using it. I also use the basket that came with it, nearly every time I use it, keeps the food off the bottom of the cooker and the chances of it burning are lower. Hope that helps.

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM

I use one all the time, quick meals. My favorite is kiebia(sp) white potatoes peeled, sourkrat with juice, onions, carrots, with a little garlic powder. Add some extra water, great meal. Also do the same with porkchops. My mom makes potato soup, yummy! if it runs dry thats when it explodes!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM

My grandfather, who lived with us, used to make his dinner in one every day. He'd take the liquid from cooking his chicken and veggies and save it for lunch the next day. I never thought it was unusual that he ate separate from the rest of the family for most meals (he kept to his own schedule), or that he at the same thing every day. He lived to 105.

I have an All-American pressure canner, and I managed to burn myself pretty good last summer while canning some beans. I was impatient and didn't wait long enough to open the thing. It took me a few weeks to not be scared of it and use it again.

I haven't tried cooking regular food in a pressure cookier, but I do see them using it on Iron Chef.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 AM

We just bought an electric pressure cooker at Lowe's on the recommendation of a friend. Haven't tried it out yet, but probably will sometime this week. I used a pressure canner last summer and had no problems with it....I'm enjoying my tomatoes in Chili today!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

My sister's blew up in her kitchen once - Gulasch all over the ceiling. No thanks! Culinary granades are not for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Culinary granades are not for me.
:D :D
Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Have used one for years. Mostly use it for roasts. Just brown in butter, onions and any spices you want, add water, seal and cook. The magic of the pressure cooker is STEAM....... you need WATER to produce STEAM.... SO DON'T FORGET THE WATER!
That is the magic of the pressure cooker. If you forget the water they will blow and yes, you will have food every where!
OK this is a dumb question but when you say "water" do you actually mean water or just liquid of any kind?
I didn't see my DD put water in it but maybe she did while I wan't paying attention. I know she put some chicken broth in.
I make stuffed peppers all the time in mine, I use one large can of prepared tomato sauce and I add extra water, it needs a good deal of liquid so it doesn't burn or blow up, and then you have a nice red sauce for the potatoes, which I also add.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 PM

I used one a lot when I was canning from the garden. I cooked a roast in it once. I just followed the directions and watched what I was doing and had no problems.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 PM

I have one. Have not used it for at least 25 years. I really prefer to just plan ahead and either use my crock-pot or cook in the oven or on the grill. But...there is nothing wrong with using a pressure cooker...it is handy to get a meal on the table in a short amount of time.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:43 PM

My mom used hers all the time and I have a sister who does as well. I am afraid of them.