Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you use a pressure cooker? >

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM

U AlwaysQuilting
I always use pressure cooker and quilting.......lol, It saves time, gas, and less heat around and dirt.
Not afraid from if u use it in a right way
Do not make it full, flame not too high
If your food makes a special foamy surface like blood in meat u have to remove that foamy before close
For dill that makes foam because of skin don't make the flame too high and the food half the cooker or less.
Leave it till stops then remove the knop
And 4 each kind there is a manuall to read carefully
Water is must one cup each 1 cooking hour , not high flame:oops:
Good luck
Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan
I use mine a lot! It is an electric one...do not think I would even let a non-electric in the house...too scary!!!
---------------------------
Never knew they made electric ones. I was raised with the regular ones, way back then in the hills. I can remember with absolute clarity what Grandma's kitchen looked like when one exploded. There were pieces of meat on the cabinets and table and chairs and even sliding down the windows. Grandma just rubbed her face with her apron and went to the porch to sit down for a while, and let her visiting daughters clean it up. (I think one of them was supposed to be watching it)

I've never used one, even though DH bought one and used it himself a few times.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM

I have a digital pressure cooker from QVC and I love it. When it was time for our granddaughter to eat baby food I made all of it myself. I use it to make soup, roasts and veggies. I made applesauce and froze it. The cooker is very safe. Most of all, it is fast! My daughter bought one and she loves it.
Peace and Blessings,
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

I got one as a gift.Electric from QVC or HSN,I forget. I absolutely love it!!! So easy to use,fast and the food is sooo tender and good. My hubby has dentures,which he seldom wears at home,sne he can "gum"right through the meat. I would reccommend them to everyone!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Have used one for years. Mostly use it for roasts. Just brown in butter, onions and any spices you want, add water, seal and cook. The magic of the pressure cooker is STEAM....... you need WATER to produce STEAM.... SO DON'T FORGET THE WATER!

That is the magic of the pressure cooker. If you forget the water they will blow and yes, you will have food every where!
:D
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 AM

I have three. A huge one for canning and two smaller ones. I will probably give one to DD to try. She's been wanting one and I really don't use them as much as I did when everyone was at home.
I've never had a problem with mine but MY mom would never touch one. Grandma used one alot though with no problems that I recall. I did have a friend that had one blow up once- what a mess!
I think they are easier to use on a gas stove rather than electric but that could just be me.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM

I have one and use it! Especially when camping....it saves on propane fuel.

I brown a pork loin roast in it. Drain off the fat, add 1 cup water, 1 slice onion and salt and pepper. Bring the temp to when it starts sputtering. I let it sputter for 55 minutes, then let it cool. That doesn't take long...do NOT put cold water on the pressure cooker -- it will just make it quick cooking and the roast won't be done. Then we slice up and enjoy. The next day, the roast is so tender we shred it and make BBQd pork sandwiches.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 AM

I have been afraid of them since one blew up on my Mom when I was little. There was food everywhere and the guage hit the ceiling. Right then I knew I would never use one. I was right.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 AM

I have this one and love it.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=14463330
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM

I have one and use it occasionally. My husband likes pinto beans but at this high altitude (6200ft) dry beans are impossible to cook without a pressure cooker. It is always useful for cooking tougher cuts of beef. I have never had any trouble with mine. Just read the instruction manual and follow their safety rules.