Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Looking around my sewing room...
****I've got hooks/nails on the walls to hold my hoops.
****Threads separated by colors--on racks.
****My small hand held vacuum cleaner (8 inches long) I got at bed/bath/beyond for cleaning out my puter/sewing machine.
****I've got stackable see through plastic cases, all different sizes, to separate buttons, velcro, zippers, ribbons, rhinstones, rulers, and shelves full of material that I will never get around to using.
****Don't ask me what's in the top two shelves, because I don't remember.
****Rubber gloves, rubber fingers
****Shelf full of paper designs I've done, books, patterns.
****Bin full of CD's and floppys of designs.
****I see a rack of patterns hanging on hangers.
****I use huge, huge safety pins to hang stencils on my metal shelving, and gallon bags of leather scraps
****All kinds of markers, pens etc.
****I have for my embroidery work--- I bought some window film that the stucco guys use for their windows to keep the windows clean while they work. It is a clear sticky back film that I hoop, then lay my material down on it, tack it again on the sides with a glue stick, works great, I never have an outline out of place.
****All pins are separated by size and I keep those in my leftover medicine bottles.
Shoe box size of all kinds of glues, spray, tacky.

I know there has got to be more after 50 years of sewing.lol Just can't remember.
Syl
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM

I use a small suitcase to hold patterns. It use to be called a makeup suitcase. I then separate them in catalogue them with cardboard.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 AM

Sticky roller for loose threads on fabrics, ironing board, and my clothing.
Tweezers for the stubborn bits left from ripping out, grabbing tiny start end of new spool of thread.
Fine-point permanent pen to mark spool thread-anchor-slot, matching points in seam allowances, writing notes for future use on selvages.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 AM

Wow this is a great question. Thanks for asking. Im learning so much.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Tweezers to pick out thread, and other small items

12x12 scrapbooking boxes for squares

baggies for different colors of material

tolite paper cardboard rolls for binding (wind it around)
paper towel cardboard rolls for large quilt binding

spray bottle with vinegar water (sets color in your material after it's washed) Wash material and while ironing spray vinegar water on to set colors.

Plastic bins to hold projects
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM

I didn't read the whole thread, did anyone mention the plastic pill boxes for holding loaded bobbins?
David
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear

& I will type them up on this list in Alphabetical order for all of us to Enjoy! Come on Quilters we need your input! Thanks!

The link below will take you the the master list that I am creating for all of us

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2574

Computer: so I can find cool links for all of us to enjoy!
Pizza boxes: to keep projects together - clean ones
Hi, the answers to your post gave me a treasure trove of great ideas. Thank you! As a new to quilting granny I would never have thought of some of them, however I had already stolen my hubby's "T" square for marking.

I like to make wall hangings and pillows...I have had fun selling them at local craft shows. I have tons of scrap pieces of ribbon, rick rack trims and the like. I washed out the huge plastic pretzel jar from COSTCO and put them all inside helter skelter. Then with a gingham square covered the screw on lid. Looks like a giant jar of chutney or home made jam in a mason jar.

When the grandkids were toddlers years ago I would give them the open jar to sit and play with on the floor of sewing room while I sewed! I also used the pieces to teach them their colors and how to count.

It looks so cute all mixed up and I have quick access to little bits of decoration for the little girl 's felt purses I sell as party favors here in town. I can make flowers, stick figures etc etc with them. Happy Spring everyone! Love this site!!!Granny Kay :)

:thumbup:
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM

a square basket to hold my rotory cutters in
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 AM

My current favorite tool is my 9 1/2" square ruler. I used to use the 6 x 12 but have found the square more versatile for projects I am working on
Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 AM

I use semi-clear fishing tackle boxes for organizing my thread. My husband, the fisherman, gave me the idea. They fit nicely in the drawers of my sewing cabinet.

FREE Quilting Newsletter