Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your stash is part of your estate! >

Your stash is part of your estate!

Your stash is part of your estate!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM

I am definitely making sure I include who gets my stash in my Will. LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM

One of my friends married for the second time. Her new spouse's deceased wife quilted and they did not know what to do with all of her fabric and scraps until they thought of me. I received over 50 yards of wonderful fabric--not just scraps. I will remember that family forever,
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Thank you for this info - great incentive to take care of all the other loose ends I keep meaning to handle .... :roll:
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 PM

My Mother sewed beautiful, when her eyesight started getting bad, she found a place called women released from federal prison. she had me pack everything in my car and off we went, she donated everything to those young ladies. Fabric, sewing machines everything. I am her only (4) daughter that sewed, therefore I had everything myself. the young ladies were very excited to meet the person who made the donations to them. they started making curtains and things for their home. It was like a place to go before they could go back home.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Mine goes to our Quilts For Giving group.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM

What do YOU want to happen to your stash/collection after you're gone? Is it part of your estate? Have you accounted for it in your will? If you don't have a will, or haven't accounted for it in your will, have you otherwise communicated to your family what you want done with it?

This is important to me because I am also a family historian. I have a cousin (I can't believe I'm related to him...) who when his parents died, basically put everything out on the curb in hefty bags for the trash people to pick up. Everything that wasn't large furniture. Everything. We lived across the country from each other then, and I didn't learn about his actions until long after they occurred. But I was appalled.

We can't control much once we've died, but we can make our wishes known.

Have you?[/quote]

I will be rewriting my will in May. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM

My mothers mother came from Germany, first hubby died, remarried (many years) At her death he did ask the children to come pick all and anything they wanted. They thoought it should stay till his death. He remarried with in 30 days of grandma's death and the new woman tossed everything and gave rest to her children. All grandma's papers coming into states as well as her parents things. All gone. I am also in genealogy and have save guarded everything. Made copies for all but one graddaughter will receive orginals. Neve know what someone will do in the end. Another side of the coin. We can't take it with us...(((hugs all)))
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM

I inherited a stash - and it was why I started quilting. My GF died of cancer, and left it all to me, on the proviso that I make memory quilts for her sons from her stash. Her stash also included every dress (I make clothes) I had ever made for her, fabric scraps from dresses I had made, and every single thing I had ever sewn, knitted or bought for her sons.
I have made the memory quilts, and I continue to quilt. The majority of her stash was not to my taste - pink chintz, pink, pink and more pink, so it went to a charity that makes quilts for ill children. I did keep some for myself, and I have a quilt that she made for us.
Her will was very clear, and she put in it that she would haunt me if I did not finish those quilts! Sometimes when I am frustrated with my sewing, or stuck for an idea on how to do something, I hear her laughing, and then she guides my hands.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 AM

The DD will get it all!! as well as all the machines!! She too is a quilter.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM

My stash IS my estate.