Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a little talking to... >

Need a little talking to...

Need a little talking to...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by peacequiltingnana
The sewing room is exactly where I head when life gets tough. It is my refuge and after sewing for awhile I usually feel better. My husband, bless his heart, will sometimes suggest to me that maybe I need to spend some time sewing. Tactful guy, isn't he!
Tactful? The man is a genius! :lol: :P
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Get where there is sunshine, pick the fabrics that inspire you the most and make something small. Start with a potholder. I love how the fabrics come together in a potholder with just using diagonals. Play the softest or happiest music you can or an inspirational CD/DVD/tape and you will be inspired and, perhaps, start your healing process. This is what I have to do and it works every time.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 AM

Turn on some music you enjoy while being in your sewing room and sew to your hearts content. Like somoene suggested sew for 15 - 30 minutes. Kind of like a chip-you can't just have one....can't just sew for a short period of time. :)

I think we all go through slumps. Just dive back in and think about all those little kids that you are blessing because of you sewing. That is awesome! ;)

Hugs,
Angie
Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm
Originally Posted by peacequiltingnana
The sewing room is exactly where I head when life gets tough. It is my refuge and after sewing for awhile I usually feel better. My husband, bless his heart, will sometimes suggest to me that maybe I need to spend some time sewing. Tactful guy, isn't he!
Tactful? The man is a genius! :lol: :P
He sounds WONDERFUL! :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have been experiencing a "slump" these last few weeks. After some awful "family stuff" i have not been able to get into quilting. My DH made my Beautiful sewing room and i need to get my ----back to making baby quilts for the local hospital. Any advise from my experts and friends. I have all the fabric i need and right now i have the time. I just need to clear my head and get back to what i love, but i am blocked. Today is the first day i have been actually looking at all the posts trying to get inspired. How do you move on and back to your old self????
I know what you are going through. My mother(she's 89) and a 25yr cancer surivor has been told she has cancer again that has moved to lymph gland, and because of her age its not a treatable cancer. They will be doing a cat scan to just how involved the cancer is.
A few years ago my father passed away and it was six weeks or so before I felt like I doing much of anything. So when we got the news about my mother, I felt distracted and couldn't get interested in what I had been working on. Then it acquired to me that maybe I was in a grieving process much like what I had experienced when my father passed away.
It's not taken as long as it did and I'm thankful that I recognized the symptoms and was able to say to myself, its okay and you will get through this. And hopefully, the cat scan will show that the cancer was only in the one gland that was removed. Its almost like taking one day at a time and not letting the hows' and mights' that are in the future control me.
Things are more or less back to normal now, more like a normal range! I know things may change but I feel a little more prepared( I think I am!!!) but I'm just concentrating on what I can do today and God will take care of the rest. Without that faith in Him, I know things would be alot harder to face. Chris
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Ahhhh, families! 'Nuff said. :roll:
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Everyone has shared such good advice I am re-inspired too! Take it slow. Maybe start by making a cup of coffee/tea and thumbing through your quilt books/magazines with a pad of post-its by your side.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Give ALL your problems to the Lord and He will give you only what You and He can handle. Try making something small, like a mug rug. You are in my prayers.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 AM

sweetie, just go in where your fabric is and start trying to match up material - that always excites my quilting brain and fires me up - good luck and remember we are all behind you - prayers your way!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Your sewing is the best therapy in the world. Try siting down with a quilt book and do some planing on a quilt you always wanted to make but never did and give your self permission to make and begin to plan colors and pattern and size.Just go through the steps one by one as the journey begins you are quilting again.