Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters - new size? >

fat quarters - new size?

fat quarters - new size?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cjsparks
If you watch at Joann's and some of the other big box stores, they cut at the amount you request. But how do youu know that the first edge is square...generally not. I have purchased fabric at several different lqs and they will add just a little for this reason. They want their customers to be satisfied know there is nothing worse than to be a little short of fabric.
The Mill End Textiles store here in Rochester is GREAT for adding a bit extra, and the fabric prices are wonderful too - great place to stop in to while in Roch - or elseware that has them! Our Saturday newspaper usually has coupons for the store as well.
http://www.millendtextiles.com/store_locations.html
Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 AM

I sure have noticed that fat quarters are getting smaller. I think that it is a rip-off. Has the length and width of fabric also gotten smaller. I wonder?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 AM

wow..have not bought a fat quarter for a while, will have to check this out....is it only joanns and hancocks, or are lqs also doing it? very sad!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 AM

[Also especially watch there fat quarters..... they have some of it with a different sticker which is hard to peel off. It has a silver sticky side and reminds me of superglue. Damn stuff stuck to my fingers just like super glue and also lost at least two fat quarters because I could not pull off the sticker. FQ's are also higher.....$1.45 each. We use to be able to buy those for less than a dollar.

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I lost 3 out of the dozen I bought, but they were only .75 cents each. Still irrating tho.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM

When I went with my DIL to Walmarks the lady cutting my fabric had an attitude because she was working somewhere else and had to cut some tape for drapes for us. She moved her thump to the inside each time cutting it 6 inches short of 6 yards. I said I wanted to fold it so as she watched I remeasured it. I said I would like 6 yards please. She didn't argue with me she knew what she had done. Even workers are against us, sometimes.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I don't like it when companies (fabric, food) change the amount without labeling the package (at least for food) or somehow letting you know that's what they are doing. As someone said, do they think we are stupid? Why don't they figure out that we just feel deceived and ripped off?
It really ticks me off when I get a can of vegetables and it has been down-sized. I now have to buy two cans.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 AM

I don't like it when companies (fabric, food) change the amount without labeling the package (at least for food) or somehow letting you know that's what they are doing. As someone said, do they think we are stupid? Why don't they figure out that we just feel deceived and ripped off?
It really ticks me off when I get a can of vegetables and it has been down-sized. I now have to buy two cans.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Edit: Oops! I was too impatient and clicked another time. :oops:
Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 AM

I no longer buy FQ for this reason.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 AM

I only buy FQs at quilt shows and they've always been the right size.
Yes, does companies think we are stupid? I can see the WOF being different, but a yard is still 36", right?