Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting? >

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 AM

I quilted for 3-4 years and then lost interest for around 5 years. Have since started back when a dear niece requested a quilt when she was getting married. Have found that I stay more interested if I just do baby quilts. I machine piece and hand quilt, so I just get too bored with the same pattern trying to handquilt them.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 AM

I've considered it myself only because I can't afford to have my quilts quilted by a long-armer. So I kinda did other sewing for a while but really miss my quilting. I've decided to do quilt-as-you-go for my quilts and now only picks patterns that work with this technique.

I'm going to PM you because I have question for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 AM

Yes it has happened to me. I go through periods of not wanting to quilt but I can't seen to not buy things for quilting. I love going to my favorite quilt shop and just hang out with them. They alway inspire me. After my husband passed away I lost interest, he was so supportive but finally I fell like a new person and are getting started again. I think it's only natural for most of us to have those time but something keeps bringing us back.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 AM

sometimes when I see all of my UFO's I kind of get overwhelmed, A friend told me to put them out of site for awhile and give myself permission to start on something new, it helped, but I can understand, sometimes we just need to get away from things for awhile. She may just need a break. But maybe she is just burn out. Keep some of the stuff she wants to get rid of, then if she gets interested again give it back to her.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:30 AM

No way. Sometimes I step back a little for a few days but then I can hear it calling my name and I'm right back into it again. Love it!
Lisa
Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 AM

Not yet. I do have a low boredom threshold, so after piecing a quilt top, I switch to making machine embroidered blocks or do hand quilting or get much needed practice FMQ. There's also a lot more applique work I would like to do.

Considering how much money I have invested in supplies, the thought of my losing interest in making quilts horrifies me, but there are just so many different things to do & types of quilts to make, I don't think it will happen. Even on the days that I don't feel well, I am really antsy to get back to sewing.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 AM

I quit for a few years because of neck and back problems that made doing hand sewing and hand quilting very painful. I started up again when my niece was having a baby. I wanted to make her a quilt but had to do everything on the machine, no hand quilting. I am back at it now and so happy. I have to be very careful not to hurt myself but sometimes it's hard.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:45 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
Originally Posted by jmabby
When I see all the fabrics and books in my sewing room I would like to get rid of everything and only buy when I am in the mood to do quilting. I have way too much now, too overwhelming.
Agree Agree Agree Agree. I want all new fabric!!!
Yep, me too. I see all the fabric in my closet (some of it I don't even like now) and wish I could just pull it all out and get rid of most of it. Too overwhelming for sure. I am in the throws of cleaning up/organizing my sewing room so hopefully that will help my attitude. Need to focus on what I want and need to make and go with that. If I were just starting out, I would go about this whole quilting habit in a whole different way.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 AM

About once a year I seem to run out of steam. Usually only lasts for a couple of weeks or maybe a month. I use that time to go through magazine and books to find all those things I wanted to make and then forgot. I catch up on my reading and sleeping. Then I'm ready to go again.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Only when I make stupid mistakes but I get over it quickly.