Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE >

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

Old 08-20-2011, 07:32 AM

That seems awfully cheap to me!! I FMQ small quilts and wallhangings and I would not do it for that price!!
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Hope the amazing ladies here have some suggestions.

Normally I machine quilt for just myself and a friend. I do hers in exchange for her doing the handwork on my binding. Once in a while another friend will finish one and I'll quilt it for her. I have always done my FMQ table top with my juki.

So, 2 months ago I purchased a grace start right/juki frame combo. It's my first frame and I've already quilted 5 tops on it. I mostly do meandering (large, small, medium depending on quilt design), hearts or leaves with loops, small curls and on the borders what I call waves. Nothing fancy. With my frame I did buy the Grace Pattern Perfect but haven't used yet as i like doing it freehand. I'm just starting to practice some flowers but I love meandering.

With all that said, here's my situation. The ladies in my weekly group send their quilt tops to Kentucky for $25-40 per top. The LAQ advised them last month she is retiring so they asked me about quilting for them. I looked and her patterns she's done look pretty much the all over standard pantographs I see for sale for most FMQ. My question is how can I figure what to charge them. They're telling me crib size should be about $15 and lap or throw size no more than $30. Apparently the LA was only charging $40 to do a queen size. Maybe I'm slow but it takes me half hour just to pin a queen on the frame. I finished a carpenter star 70 x 70and did it in 2 colors thread with small curls all over the top. It took me several hours.

Is there a way to decide what would be fair? I think about squaring the backing, pressing the backing and top, pinning it all the the frame and then charging $15-20 and I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble. Any ideas? I attached a couple I've quilted but not sure you can see the actual stitching. I haven't learned all the fancy feathers and not sure I want to but I think I do a nice job.
:lol:
Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 AM

I don't know much about quilting, but, this woman must of gotten all this work because her prices were cheap!! You need to figure your time, costs for electric usage, shipping.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Hope the amazing ladies here have some suggestions.

Normally I machine quilt for just myself and a friend. I do hers in exchange for her doing the handwork on my binding. Once in a while another friend will finish one and I'll quilt it for her. I have always done my FMQ table top with my juki.

So, 2 months ago I purchased a grace start right/juki frame combo. It's my first frame and I've already quilted 5 tops on it. I mostly do meandering (large, small, medium depending on quilt design), hearts or leaves with loops, small curls and on the borders what I call waves. Nothing fancy. With my frame I did buy the Grace Pattern Perfect but haven't used yet as i like doing it freehand. I'm just starting to practice some flowers but I love meandering.

With all that said, here's my situation. The ladies in my weekly group send their quilt tops to Kentucky for $25-40 per top. The LAQ advised them last month she is retiring so they asked me about quilting for them. I looked and her patterns she's done look pretty much the all over standard pantographs I see for sale for most FMQ. My question is how can I figure what to charge them. They're telling me crib size should be about $15 and lap or throw size no more than $30. Apparently the LA was only charging $40 to do a queen size. Maybe I'm slow but it takes me half hour just to pin a queen on the frame. I finished a carpenter star 70 x 70and did it in 2 colors thread with small curls all over the top. It took me several hours.

Is there a way to decide what would be fair? I think about squaring the backing, pressing the backing and top, pinning it all the the frame and then charging $15-20 and I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble. Any ideas? I attached a couple I've quilted but not sure you can see the actual stitching. I haven't learned all the fancy feathers and not sure I want to but I think I do a nice job.
If that's all your charging, I can get you 500 customers here in Northern California!! I pay a minimum of $40 (even for a crib size) and the price goes up from there. A double bed size with a simple pantograph(?) runs between $80 and $100. Custom designs cost by the inch!!!

Your time and talent are worth more -- don't let your friends cheat you!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Don't give it away!!! I don't know how these ladies can do it so cheap!!!! My minimum is $45. Anything over that I charge by the square inch. It does take time to do setup. Plus work out any kinks that may arise. Do a search and see what other long armers are getting in your area and be consistent with that. It seems you are out of the practice phase so you need to be right along with others. And remember, you get what you pay for.....
Old 08-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Dkm

I live in Ky and NEVER have I paid that cheap of a price. I'm like you it wouldn't be worth it to me either. Quilting is to be enjoyed not WORK.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 AM

I've never had one quilted by a professional but I have overheard others that have talking (we have 3 LAQ in the area) and we don't expect to pay under $100. Their skill, time, etc. is worth it. Queen size may be over $200 depending on the quilting pattern.

My DH is a self employed contractor...there is no way he would belittle his ability and charge a price that doesn't even pay for gas, why would we (you) charge so little for your work. Please look into this fully, join that yahoo group for professionals that someone mentioned, and don't let the quilters that want you to quilt their work push you around, just because the other lady charged too little.

Our quilt shop lets you rent their Tin Lizzie (once you've taken a class with them to prove you know what you are doing, can't wreck the machine!!!!) $10 load up fee and then $20/hour. You supply your thread,needle, etc.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I live in N.E. Ohio and here is a list of prices from a local quilt shoppe.
Crib 45x60=2700 sq in for $50.00

Twin 72x90= 6480 sq in for $98.60

dbl/full 81x96 =7776 sq in for $108.32

qn 90x108=9720 sq in for $122.90

king 120x120=14400 sq in for $158.00
hope this gives you some perspective and a starting point
edited to add their flyer states that these prices are for general "meandering". Batting, backing, and binding are extra
cherrio
Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 AM

It looks like you good work, I wouldn't do it for $15-30!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
That is the wonderful thing about choices. I would put your price list out there and they can pay or go elsewhere. I wouldn't devalue your time and efforts just so you won't hurt feelings. What about yours? How long would you be doing this for "nothing much" before you begin to resent the entire process.
I agree So check around we pay about 2.5cents to 3.5 cents an inch here. and that also is for something simple more complex well price goes up thread charge also.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 AM

The shop near me charges $25 per hour. If you charge an hourly rate, that will cover the cost of thread and needles. Remember you have to cover your overhead expenses.

Julia
www.digitalartquilts.com