Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a quilter >

I am a quilter

I am a quilter

Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 AM

I think you did great! Good for you!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I am a quilter too, but I also could be considered a seamstress. HOWEVER, when it comes to hemming pants, you did a very polite thing by offering to teach her (you're a better woman than I am) and when she didn't accept the offer you told her, politely, where she could get the non-sewer's tape. Enough said. I absolutely HATE HEMMING PANTS, have had to do it for my husband, then my two kids and sometimes my MIL, but I do so very reluctantly. I would rather sew a complete garment than hem pants. Do I sound like I hate hemming pants? Yeah, I do. lol
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 AM

Reminds me of a friend who asked me to sew her a queen size quilt and she said she would pay me $25 for the fabric. I told her start at a $100 bill and go from there. She was shocked and backed off. I just tell people "I'm sorry, but I am way too busy with my own chores to do other's, here is where you can get help with that ". No complaints so far. If you mean what you say and don't say it mean, it will be okay.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I think you were very generous to give her your coupon. And yes you were right to offer to "show her" how to do it herself. Give a man a fish he eats for a day - teach a man to fish he eats forever.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Heard something one time like asking a quilter to mend, alter (you insert the appropriate term) is like asking Picasso to paint the garage door!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Had someone ask me if I would hem up his pants. I told him that I didn't even do my husbands, that he has to have someone else do them. The only people I will do any repairs for are my one son. He works outside every day and gets tears in his pants, so I do patch them since I don't have to fuss with them much.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM

I do both but even for a friend I charge to do any kind of alteration!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 AM

All of the above. Some dry cleaners will also do hems, sew on buttons and seams for an additional price. And there are alternation shops. She of course wanted the sewing free.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM

I was asked to hem pants for a lady - I told her I only quilted, I don't do alterations.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 AM

if someone I knew couldnt use their hands for some reason I would help them out, but my first MIL was such a wonderful quilter/ seamstress - all her "friends" and I mean every one of them kept her busy sewing day and night.

Some had tons of money and could pay her, didn't; 2 had sewing machines as good as hers - actually, one bought hers just because MIL got a bells and whistles Janome - and they still came with things to alter, mend, sew from scratch. The Stars wanted her to just "whip up curtains for the Eastern Star hall" a set of 10 floor to ceiling windows. They "thought" they had the amt of material, but she had to buy thread, and, oh any other little items curtains need.

She quit the Star. She tried to start saying no, but after 45 yrs of being walked on, people thought she was going crazy due to her husband passing - lol.

She made me clothes over the yrs, as gifts, and has given me several quilts. I have never asked her once to sew anything for me and I never sew for anyone so as not to get into that trap!! sharet