Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do? >

what would you do?

what would you do?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Years ago I bought some cutable plastic and using a paper template I had done (but now I think I would buy some of that wavey trim that's for sale every holiday) and drew lines on the plastic and cut it out. I have used that design on many, many quilts. I'm not a fan of stippling, I like something less sewn and softer (although I've been totally awed by some tight fancy quilting many times -- it's just not for me).

I use a chalk "pencil" to put the line on the quilt fabric and like to find a seam at which to start that is near the middle. I always quilt middle outward, just to be on the safe side and not have a wrinkle! On lap size quilts that I quilt as I go (using 2-sided fusible batting (called "fleece" - I don't know why) I only quilt in the direction not quilted already. Happy sewing!

DSCF4019.JPG
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254400[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254394.jpe  
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM

unfortunatly i do not have any experience in machine quilting i do all of mine by hand... just finished my king ufo (there is a pic of it in the picture section)so I hope to see it when finished and at telling of of it turned out and how well it worked how every you quilt it :)
Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 AM

It took so long to load the above picture that I missed my chance to comment on it. If you hit your enlargement system (mine is "command+") you can see the large waves coming down thru the quilt. The side-ways seams are quilting-as-you-go seams. It is not intrusive and it strengthens the quilt... this one is going into a bus for a boys choir (which does a lot of traveling to "gigs").

Hope this gives you another persepective. Sorry these letters aren't together!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 AM

I would go for it!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Start with a simple straight line design. Stitch in the ditch or on a diagonal. Relax and breath and remember no one will be examining it up close when you are done. Any mistakes will not show. Start in the center and work out and remember the whole quilt does not have to be the same motif. Try different things are you get more confident. Use thread that will blend in with most of the fabric
Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Originally Posted by LoriEl
Originally Posted by donnajean
I think a queen size would be very difficult as your 1st attempt. I would practice on something smaller. I do like to finish quilts myself while my sister was one to send hers out to be quilted.
My thoughts exactly. I started with a twin size with simple stitch in the ditch. I did one queen size but it wasn't easy!
How did your queen size turn out?
It was a simple cross hatch and came out good, considering!

Queen size
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254450[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254444.jpe  
Old 09-10-2011, 02:58 PM

If I were you, and I could afford it, I'd let someone do the quilting. My gut feeling is that it will get done, not frustrate you, and you'll be THAT much more inspired to make the next one. I quilted my own for years, have taught machine quilting, and now that I can afford to send out the tops, I do. I didn't think I would want to give up the quilting, but I do!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM

I took a class on machine quilting but I still do not like how it looks. I would practice quite a bit before you start on the real project. I only do straight-ling quilting myslef and send my quilts out to be quilted for most of them.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
I am piecing my first quilt top. My original plan was to send it out to have the quilting done but as its progressed I wonder if I can/should try to machine quilt it myself. My lightweight Brother came w a quilting foot. At this point I don't even know how to attach it to the machine. I know people do this on these little machines and it looks great. I just don't know HOW to do it, how to squish all of that fabric into such a tiny area and actually be able to sew at the same time and have it remain a quilt rather than a balled,up, seam ripped mess. This quilt, mind you, is queen size. Does anyone know of a good tutorial or have thoughts on this topic? For those of you have done this, what has yor experience been? I know I need to practice, practice, practice but I think I need more than that.
Send it out! If you insist on doing your own, start with something small to see if you like it and can do it. I've been making quilts for 40 years or more and learned a long time ago that the best thing for a top I've spent lots of time and money on is to get a professional long armer to quilt it. froggyintexas
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I think a queen size would be very difficult as your 1st attempt. I would practice on something smaller. I do like to finish quilts myself while my sister was one to send hers out to be quilted.

She is right that's really a big quilt for a regular machine. Can't say it can't be done but it's a big job especially for your first attempt.