Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do? >

what would you do?

what would you do?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 AM

Update: I studied, researched and youtube'd til my iPad died last nite. I'm feeling pretty confident. The "quilting foot" is a walking foot. Since my Brother is so light, I'm going to put a sheet of that rubber gripper stuff underneath it to hopefully keep it from moving. Then the rubber-tipped gloves I saw on youtube are also on my list today. I still have one more border to do and then I think I'm going to go for it. This forum is so incredible. I would love to sit in a big room with all of you, in a "real" room. Can you imagine that? Thank you so much for your imput and the much-appreciated help! I will post my results . . get ready. . . . .
Old 09-10-2011, 06:33 AM

It takes practice, practice, practice. . . it builds confidence! I find that I have difficulty quilting larger quilts myself as they are so bulky. It makes you feel as if you've been in a wrestling match!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TN Gal
It takes practice, practice, practice. . . it builds confidence! I find that I have difficulty quilting larger quilts myself as they are so bulky. It makes you feel as if you've been in a wrestling match!
I'm taking this slowwww! I've set my machine to medium (or slow) speed, prefilled my bobbins, gloves one and working on my breathing. On another note, I'm going to pin baste after all. I am spray can challenged and can imagine dust bunnies glued to everything in the house. No thanks. FMQ is not an option at this point either. One challenge at a time but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Update: I studied, researched and youtube'd til my iPad died last nite. I'm feeling pretty confident. The "quilting foot" is a walking foot. Since my Brother is so light, I'm going to put a sheet of that rubber gripper stuff underneath it to hopefully keep it from moving. Then the rubber-tipped gloves I saw on youtube are also on my list today. I still have one more border to do and then I think I'm going to go for it.
Be sure that you have a table behind and to the left of your sewing machine to support the quilt. Be prepared to stop and shift the quilt around to reduce the drag. The rest of your preparations sound great.

Sometimes rolling the quilt in the throat seems to work better but other times just squishing it in works better, so don't be afraid to try both methods.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would split the batting into 3 sections, which greatly reduces bulk under the arm of a domestic machine. Marti Michel (sp?) has a book out on how to do this, called Quilting in Sections (or something like that).

By quilting foot, do you mean a walking foot? There is a big difference between using a walking foot and free-motion quilting using a darning foot with the feed dogs lowered.

I advise staying away from stitch-in-the-ditch for a first attempt. I personally do not even try this anymore because I am always dis-satisfied with the results. It sounds easy, but I am someone who notices every little deviation and it is *hard* to stay exactly in-the-ditch!

The easiest way to machine quilt that I have come across uses the walking foot to create gentle waving lines from one end of the quilt to the other. You can do these in two directions to create a wavy grid pattern (although then there is a concern about potential puckers at the line intersections). Straight lines are a little more difficult in that any deviation will show up as a "mistake". With wavy lines, there are no "mistakes".

Also, you need to learn how to baste your quilt sandwich together. My recommendation is spray basting.

Another recommendation I make is to starch the backing fabric heavily before layering (I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water). This stabilizes the backing fabric to prevent puckers. I also spray starch the top (different method than I use for backing yardage).
You mention your wavy lines. I saw that exact pattern last weekend and really liked it. The spacing between each wave was perfect and so smooth. Is this method accessible on the internet so I can learn it or is it a stitch pattern available to you on your machine? Also, it seems like trying to sew wavy would make it difficult to stay on course, be it on a diagonal or straight "path". How did you prevent that from being a problem? I'm sooo green.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I would google and youtube for video images. It can be done but it won't be easy. If you have a lot of patience it will be very rewarding in the end to have done it yourself. Just work on it and if you feel a little frustrated, walk away and come back later. Good Luck. Post pics
Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 AM

For me there is something special about quilting, just as there is about the piecing. BUT, my first quilts were SID and there were baby quilts!. I'm doing a 7x8' heavily appliqued one now and my husband is helping me (it weights too much to be moved around easily and the appliques require a lot of corners). I nod my head this way and he shifts the fabric. Actually, now he has learned to see when I'm going to need a turn. My quilting lines are always simple.

I had a Babylock (which is related to Brother) and burned out the motor within two years! I talked to the repairman about what machine to get to replace it (one that quilted and had a low repair rate). It also has a longer space between the motor and the needle.

There is no way I'd use a smaller, lightweight machine to quilt anything bigger than a baby blanket. I hope you figure out a way to at least try some quilting because it is fun and then the quilt was ALL made by you!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 AM

Believe me, do not try this with your first quilt. As others have said, practice on small quilts. It can be done, but very difficult on a reg machine. The largest I have done is twin size. My machine is Babylock with a deeper throat than a regular machine. I am not ashamed to send out larger quilts and then admire the finished product.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 AM

I did quilt 5 twin sized quilts and never liked any of my quilting .At queen I would look for a longarmer.With this being queen sized you have put some work in it.Spend the money on it and enjoy the work you have done.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 AM

Here's a video by Leah Day that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2Y1...eature=related

There are many good quilt videos out there.