Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do? >

what would you do?

what would you do?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
This quilt is a d9p. I wasnt going to do anything intricate or "swirly". I was only going to follow the shapes of each block - straight lines the whole way. I definately need to study - youtube I will definately look at - and take a deep breath. Intimidating!
Your first post mentioned a "quilting foot". Not sure of your definition of such, but what you really want to use if following straight lines is a "walking foot" which will feed the top and bottom layers thru and under the needle evenly to help avoid tucks on the back. PIN, PIN, PIN, lots!! Keep in mind when you are pinning to stay away from the lines you want to stitich along so you don't have to remove them every couple of inches or so. But, having said all that, I suggest you start with a smaller quilt to get some practice in first. :-o
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 AM

This may sound silly but it will give you an idea of what you will have to deal with....do you have a queen size quilt at home or one to borrow? Play with it at your machine (no sewing) to realize how much fabric you will have to manuever in and around your machine. It can be done with lots and lots of patience. Been there, done that and will never do that again. Anything larger than twin gets sent out. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
This may sound silly but it will give you an idea of what you will have to deal with....do you have a queen size quilt at home or one to borrow? Play with it at your machine (no sewing) to realize how much fabric you will have to manuever in and around your machine. It can be done with lots and lots of patience. Been there, done that and will never do that again. Anything larger than twin gets sent out. Good luck!
That's a GREAT idea! :thumbup:
Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Originally Posted by ssgramma
It is NOT easy period and especially on a lightweight Brother. It CAN be done but I sure wouldn't do it again. I have the whatever 6000 "quilting" machine and have done quite a few small things. Then I did just wavy, straight lines on one to cover the sofa and another for the loveseat.

Then I got a vintage Singer 201 to put in a cabinet I already had. Her name is Miss MAM and she will not be "pushed around" by any quilt :-)

And that Brother has been put away ever since. I will only need it as backup and for deco stitches.
Oh dear. So the Brother was my reintro to sewing after years of nothing but mending, curtains, etc. Christmas is coming, right?
Don't get me wrong here - I like the machine a lot but it is just not easy pushing a large amount of fabric through it. It is very light and moves when you shove. That is why I'm liking my 30+ lb big black Singer set into a cabinet. She won't be shoved LOL

I would try the method using only 1/3 of the batting at a time if I had to quilt on it again.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Get on You Tube and look for Machine Quilting videos....there are some great videos that show you exactly how to do it.

Good luck...come back here for help.
Ditto!!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:58 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks so much for the excellent suggestions.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

I would practice quilting on something smaller first, and then I would quilt the queen quilt in sections. Get Marti Michell's book "Machine Quilting in Sections" for more information. It makes it SO much easier.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
Originally Posted by donnajean
I think a queen size would be very difficult as your 1st attempt. I would practice on something smaller. I do like to finish quilts myself while my sister was one to send hers out to be quilted.
My thoughts exactly. I started with a twin size with simple stitch in the ditch. I did one queen size but it wasn't easy!
My first quilt was king size and I quilted it myself on my Brother's sewing machine. (SID) It takes time and patience. I watched a lot of videos before starting.

So if you want the challenge, you can do it.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 PM

Check your local quilt shops as many have a machine in the shop that you can rent out for the hours you need to machine quilt. Most require a lesson on how to use the machine, but it is much easier and faster for large projects, most lqs are more then helpful, working with you to get everything set correctly, etc. In my area, the price is reasonable. Please post a picture when you get it done.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 AM

I'm no expert but I've done several quilts on my Brother machine. I use safety pins to keep it all together. And stitch in the ditch on most patterns I've done. You roll up half way and start in the middle and work out. I go across first then do one quarter at a time. Hope that helps..