Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do? >

what would you do?

what would you do?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 AM

Boy, I'm glad I didn't ask and just jumped in and quilted my first KING sized quilt on my machine! Yes, it's a domestic - a Singer Futura II I bought in 1976. I did just fine! I had to shove and scrunch and push, but it worked just fine! I did SID, using a decorative stitch actually, very few problems. I did do a fancy border stitch, and while it's not nearly professional nor show worthy, it's fine for my bed, which was it's intended use!

After that, I jumped right in and did a full size quilt - again, SID using a decorative stitch. It was a D9P also, and it came out just fine.

So, don't be discouraged! If I can do it, anyone can! I am seriously going to try some FMQ on my next one, which will probably end up full sized - I'm not using a pattern at all on this one - just kind of making it up as I go. The blocks so far are 15x17 and I only have 3 finished. I'm doing 4 across by 5 down, and haven't decided whether or not I'm putting borders on it.

Oh, and I'm a pinner. Haven't quite figured out spray basting yet, may give it a shot on this one.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 AM

I don't think I'd try to do free-motion quilting without a LOT of practice on something smaller first. Having said that, I've quilted almost all my own quilts on my home machine, but none of them were queen size. On all of them, I used my walking foot, and just did shadow quilting inside each piece of the patches. This was something I could keep better control of while doing it. Of course, the walking foot doesn't do anything but straight quilting - you couldn't do FMQ with it. It does make a HUGE difference in keeping the sandwiched fabrics from shifting while you quilt. I'm no pro, that's for sure, but that's my experience.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 AM

Practice on a sandwich of material which is about a metre in size, to get the feel of moving the material.Lower the feed dogs and put on some device to make movement easier,eg. rubber tipped gloves,machingers or a rubber coaster under each hand,
Her is a site for practice videos.Click on each picture and you will get a video demonstration:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm

Good practicing!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 AM

I suggest you purchase Harriet Hargraves book, "Heirloom Machine Quilting" copyright 2004. It gives very good directions on how to machine quilt on a domestic machine. I know it is available on amazon if you can't find it in a local store. Do practice, practice, practice.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:35 AM

I too love the peicing of the top. I have never tried quilting on machine, I always send them out.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:36 AM

You Tube
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
I am piecing my first quilt top. My original plan was to send it out to have the quilting done but as its progressed I wonder if I can/should try to machine quilt it myself. My lightweight Brother came w a quilting foot. At this point I don't even know how to attach it to the machine. I know people do this on these little machines and it looks great. I just don't know HOW to do it, how to squish all of that fabric into such a tiny area and actually be able to sew at the same time and have it remain a quilt rather than a balled,up, seam ripped mess. This quilt, mind you, is queen size. Does anyone know of a good tutorial or have thoughts on this topic? For those of you have done this, what has yor experience been? I know I need to practice, practice, practice but I think I need more than that.
I like doing my own quilting. Practice on sandwiches of cheep muslin. Stippling is my favorite. You can do many different patterns. Do something you are comfortable with. The main thing is to practice, practice, practice. I like the fact that I did it all myself...It will turn out great!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 AM

I machine quilt with my little Brother all the time. I started with a full sized but have changed to quilting b y segments, then using a pretty strip to join (makes a square design on the back.)
Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 AM

My first attempt was on a queen sized quilt on my Singer. It was difficult. Be patient. Move the quilt a lot. Have something that will hold up the material on your left; don't let it hang.
It will take time but you can do it! (If I did, you can.)
Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 AM

Practice with smaller things first. Good luck and enjoy. :D