Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice to a first-time cat owner >

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Congrats on your decision! I find my cat leaves my thread alone, but tries to steal pins from my pincushion! I now keep all my pins in a box with a secure lid.
One word of caution, cats do tend to rub around your ankles, and could possibly cause you to fall if you are not careful. Try to train him/her not to be underfoot, especially on stairs!
I know you will love having a cat. They are easy to care for and very loving. Mine brings joy to me everyday.
I ditto all of the above. Especially the pin part. Just the other day my rather new cat found my pins and had one in her mouth. She was struggling to spit it out. I hate to think what would have happened if I had not been right there.

I now guard my pins!

If you have money to throw away, buy cat toys that are going to fall apart. BUT, if you don't, my cat prefers stuff I make. I had scraps of fake fur, which I made into little pillows (about 2" wide by 6" long). I sewed 3 foot long strips of fabric to the pillows, and now I can pull these around the house while she chases them. When she catches one of her "mice" she bites and kicks like crazy. These are her favorite toys! (Probably because I am playing with her!)

If he/she is going to be an indoor cat, get it some kind of pet grass plant. They love to chew on it.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Oh, one more thing...

A joke for you.

A woman got a dog. She fed it, and petted it, and loved it, and played with it every day. The dog thought, "Wow, that woman must be a GOD!"

A woman got a cat. She fed it, and petted it, and loved it, and played with it every day. The cat thought, "Wow, I must be a GOD!"
Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Just try to remember that you can tell a dog what you want but you must ASK a CAT! (And it's opinion might NOT be yours!!)LOL I have always had cats in my life and each one is different. Never deside on a particular color, breed, or sex. Just look at a lot of cats or even kittens and the right one will choose you not the other way around. When you get it home just wait till it comes to you on it's own. They like to think they are the one's in charge.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

You have indeed done your research. We've had cats off and on for years, initially indoor/outdoor cats until unfortunately we lost our 2 cats to something they ingested outdoors. Lesson learned, the hard way. My husband prefers kittens, however, after losing my lap cat, Casper, he kept hedging on me getting a new cat. Well, my friend Terry J. and I were coming home from a quilt class, she took a different route home, and I spotted the sign to the animal shelter, so she took me. They had lots of possibilities to be sure, but nothing clicked until she spotted a black cat behind the door, named Terry. OMG, when the tech. handed her to me, she snuggled under my chin, rested her head on my shoulder, let me twist and turn her every way from Sunday and didn't want to leave me. Terry hates cats (she was attacked as a child), but told me I had to get her. They put her on the schedule to be neutered, and 4-5 days later I brought her home. Terry insisted that I couldn't rename her, just to annoy my DH, however, we have a daughter named Kari, and DH confuses them when I say their name, so since Terry's last name begins with "J", she is now TJ and I couldn't be happier. She follows me like a dog at times, now sleeps on the bed, with me or on top of me or my pillow and I have a soul mate. Sorry this is long-winded, but after owning both cats and dogs, cats are easier because you can leave them for a weekend and they are fine. I not only have my lap cat, I have my cuddle cat. Hope you are just as fortunate, when the cat is the right one, you'll know it. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 PM

I grew up with cat's and dogs but have only a cat now. I got him when he was 6 weeks ond. I did have him declawed though. Not sorry I did because he does like to ned on me at night. Filadander (sp) is poison for cats if they chew on them. Mine like the pins also so I keep them in a tight contained. He also liked thread so I keep a close eye on him when I am sewing. He likes to sleep by me with his head in the palm of my hand and a receiving blanket over him. Them he is off to sleep for the night. I love hime so and what a companion he is. Oh he is 3 years now. Good luck with your new baby I'm sure he/she will have a good home and lots of love.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:11 PM

You will need to get your cat de-clawed because they will use anything upholstered and sometimes a wooden door frame to sharpen their claws. I have had chairs re-upholstered because of this problem. Last cat was de-clawed, so worked out fine. You didn't say if you were going to keep it in house all the time? If not, don't let out side until it gets use to you, then leave the door propted open so it can get back in. Female cats make make better house pets. Also make sure that someone is going to take care of your cat, if something happens to you. Cats can live up to 17-18yrs. Good luck.
IdahoSandy
Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that you should change the cat litter regularly, cleaning out #2 right away. If you let the litter box go, they will quit using it, instead go in a corner or else where else.
IdahoSandy
Old 09-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
You will need to get your cat de-clawed because they will use anything upholstered and sometimes a wooden door frame to sharpen their claws. I have had chairs re-upholstered because of this problem. Last cat was de-clawed, so worked out fine. You didn't say if you were going to keep it in house all the time? If not, don't let out side until it gets use to you, then leave the door propted open so it can get back in. Female cats make make better house pets. Also make sure that someone is going to take care of your cat, if something happens to you. Cats can live up to 17-18yrs. Good luck.
IdahoSandy
De-clawing is cruelity. They don't just cut off claws. They cut off the first joint of each of their toes. Don't do it!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Lyn

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
IdahoSandy
I beg to differ. My friend thought there was a dead squirrel in her yard so she went to bury it and it meowed at her. This was in the dead of winter in New Hampshire. The full grown cat was declawed and weighed 3 lbs. The cat could not defend its self and could not hunt for food. $1000 later and lots of care the cat came back. It is nothing to clip claws and get scratching posts. As far as females making better house cats, as long as the cat was neutered or spayed it really makes no difference except all my boys are very loving.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM

I don't believe in declawing - because if they get out (we live in the country) that is their super-best and utmost defense! Without claws they are vulnerable to anything. I would suggest a scratching post for indoors - there are such cute ones out with little cubicles to excite their imagination and look nice in your home too - and spray it with a "catnip" spray (you can find at Wal-Mart or pet shops, and as long as you are stern (No!) with them over the furniture, shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes our cat will "tear hell" out of that scratching post and then walk away quite satisfied. :-) Of course she also has lots of logs outside.

Marysewfun