Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Computer virus on board? >
  • Computer virus on board?

• Computer virus on board?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:48 AM
    QKO

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    no problems here and my anti-virus is from the Govt! Oh wait..that might [not] be the most secure anti-virus after all..ehehhe
    LOL, that's the funniest post on this thread yet!

:lol: :lol:

Just a note or two though -- First, as others have stated, you don't want to have two active anti-virus programs running on your system, they can throw up false warnings and do other things you won't like.

Second, if you're going to a reputable website, and a security certificate warning is thrown up, that's not always, or not even often, a problem. It just means that there might be something technically out of whack with the site's security certificate.

For instance, on our site, you can come in two ways, through quilt-kits-online.com or quilt-fabrics-online.com. Since the very expensive Verisign certificate was issued in the name of quilt-kits-online.com, if you come in through the other site name, which leads you to the same place, you might get a site certificate conflict, and you might not be able to see the site certificate.

Since both urls go to the same site, and that site is scanned on a regular basis, it just means that for that alternate url, we don't pay a bunch of money to Verisign each year.

Other errors that can happen are that a site just didn't pay it's bill to Verisign or McAfee, or there is a mis-spelling in the site name on the certificate. Or, they may be using a shared site certificate (lots of stores do this) and the certificate name has changed but the site owner hasn't made the necessary changes in the code. In many cases, the hosting provider doesn't even notify the owner that the shared certificate has changed.

None of this makes the site any less secure, so if you trust the site (use your common sense and/or email the shop owner and tell them about it, see what they say) then instruct your browser to trust the site.
    Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by debbiecharlie
    One protection said "We do not feel that this site is secure and recommend you do not continue" Another said (while I was trying to connect to a fabric site recommended from this board)...."this site has a security problem "(something to that nature)........ Both notices are connected to this board, that is why I am concerned.....
    Are you sure it's from your virus protector and not MS IE. MS IE is outrageous for doing such things has mentioned. Since I know where I go is safe I just ignore it when from MS IE.
    Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 AM
    Power Poster

I noticed yesterday that behind the blue of the message board my anti virus (Trend Security from Microsoft) had blocked the messages on either side and said they were not secure so blocked
    Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Now that you mention it, I did have one issue with a link a couple days ago - didn't really think about it since I was automaticly warned to stay away from that site.
    Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    if your words start jumping, or your mouse pointer moves when you are not even moving your mouse...and you have a wireless router in your house..then you are being hacked by someone in the neighborhood! Immediately log off and restart your computer....if it happens again, you need to contact your ISP provider!

Man, I didn't know that. Of course, there's lots I don't know and need all the help I can get. It's not doing that today, so when I shut it off last night, maybe that is what helped. I love this site and if I couldn't get in to it on a daily basis, they may as well send me to the moon.
    Dodie
    Old 10-06-2011, 07:41 AM

the only problem I have had is when I couldn't get on the board and then when I did, none of the pictures were transmitting/loading. that was a bummer. But the tech group did a fantastic job of figuring that out, and helping me work through the problem.
    I haven't had any problems lately, though some of the off sites don't play or connect like they should. But that is not of the board, it is the extended site connection that is the problem.
    Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 AM

no problems here
    Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM

its the GREMLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
    No problems here. I have Kaspersky anti-virus.
    Same with me.
    Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    the only thing I have noticed the last couple days is everything is very slow....slower than normal....
    Interesting for so have I. I thought it was my computer.