Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for quilts? >

Sheets for quilts?

Sheets for quilts?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Oh My!!! that sounds absolutely heavenly.
Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
I have two ll Bean flannel sheets that we were given and I've been saving them to use for the backing on a few quilts that we will use in our home, not gifts. They are wonderfully soft and thick and will stop the quilt from sliding off the bed. one is going to be cut in half and used for backings for his and her lap quilts that will have a pocket in them for your feet.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM

I want to do a couple of denim lap quilts because I always have at least one cat in my lap so I want something durable that won't show cat hairs.
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Oh My!!! that sounds absolutely heavenly.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM

I use them frequently. If it is a used sheet I cut it down the middle and then sew the two sides together, which has less wear. I Only use these for tied quilts , not hand quilted. but I have use new percale sheets for Hand quiltinq. I wash them first to take out the sizing.. I especially like them for baby quilts,. cmaras.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM

I use them quite often if I have one that has a print that goes with the quilt top. Have used solid sheets on the back if I am only going to SITD and use thread the same color as the sheet. They have turned out really nice.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM

I normally use cotton for my quilts, but there have been plenty of times that I have used sheets for the backing. But be sure and cut off all selvages and hems. I tried hand quilting using a sheet backing one time, it was extremely hard. This was because of the high thread count; I believe, and I will only machine quilt using a sheet at certain times for backing now. The solid colors I don't care for, so if I can find something I really like in a patterned fabric, I usually pick that up on sale. They are also very easy and economical, I can purchase them from Goodwill for a few dollars.

Last edited by CruisingStef; 12-13-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 PM

I am a long-time hand quilter and a recent Long Arm Quilter. I love 108" backing fabrics but they can get expensive. I also use cotton sheets for backing all the time and have no problem with either. However, do pay attention to thread count. WalMart has a 200 threadcount that is wonderful!...soft and inexpensive. I recommend it! Also, what is the problem with your quilting showing up on a solid background. I want my quilting to show up!....so blacks and navy blues are my favorites! So glad to see this thread and remove the stigma of using sheets for backing.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 AM

I will use a muslin sheet on the back of a machine quilted quilt. Not percale as that is really tightly woven. I launder the sheet a couple times to get all the sizing out and shrink it. (some do shrink) Would not try to hand quilt through a lot of the sheets as they are tightly woven and hard to hand quilt. Machine quilting will go right through and works great.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 AM

I used to use sheets. But, once I entered a quilt in a quilt show and they told me my backing was inferior quality. It was a sheet. since then, I haven't used one. Also, I've noticed the higher the thread count, the harder it is to quilt by hand.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 AM

I used a sheet for the backing of my first quilt - It was for my sister's housewarming gift - she needed something for her guest room twin bed and her favorites were turtles - I bought shee set, used the flat for the back and gave her the fitted and pillow case to match - I washed the sheet first in hot water before taking to quilter - It has survived about 7 years now with coninous washings - so yes I would use for the backs for sure!!! They come in so many colors and designs it would be easy to match a quilt top. Come to think about it I have used a sheet for sashing and then used it on the back with some of the other colors from the front - worked great!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 AM

Default Sheets for backing

Originally Posted by ashleyr View Post
since the subject of fabric quality has come up again, i thought i'd throw something else out there -

do you use sheets in your quilts? Why or why not?

I've always heard not to use them, but i will use it for backing. I just don't know why you're not supposed to so i thought the thousands of people on qb could give their opinions!!
they are hard to hand quilt through,but machine quilting i do use some just for color purposes .to me they seem colder next to your skin unlike the muslim next to your skin after it is washed it seems to be a lot softer and warmer or cuddler.that is just my opinion of course.