Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for quilts? >

Sheets for quilts?

Sheets for quilts?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:22 AM

I use crib sheets for some of my piecing on my baby quilts to be able to personalize each quilt to match the baby's bedroom decor. I also use the same crib sheet pattern for the back of the quilt. I machine quilt mine and have had no problems at all. I haven't tried sheets on anything larger than a baby quilt, though.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Banned

different sheets are like different fabric, the thickness and thread count DO matter. If you are using sheets and you plan to have the quilt machine quilted, discuss this with your LAQ first..some do NOT quilt the sheets as it causes tension jumping issues....

YES< you can/should use whatever you can, BUT educate yourself to know all of the issues, good/bad/indifferent before you make your final decision/purchase!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 AM

I use sheets for backing and piecing all the time. With the quality and cost of some of the fabric today. What's a person to do? It would cost with the type of fabric I use (very high thread count) including the batting it would cost close to $100 just for the fabric. It is almost impossible to buy single sheets and the cost of them or a set is outrageous. I buy at Goodwill and Salvation Army. In fact, the nicest fabric I have bought lately was at Goodwill. I did buy 2 yards of fabric for a top. Would you like to hear the price I paid for it on sale? $13.95 per yard. Going to be a really nice, expensive top. But to look at the good side. With my experience, I will have a top to rival any top for Macy's, Boston Store or any of the other top rated stores at a cost at least triple my home made one. An example of fabric I don't like to buy from a store is my experience yesterday. I needed some batic for a quilt block. I won't mention the store I went to, but I never saw so much 'cheesy' fabric in all my life. I bought half a yard at $9.99 a yard. Oh yes, they have beautiful fabric at the front of the store, but the price is way over my budget many times. Does anyone else have this kind of experience in a fabric store? I talked with one lady who said the same thing.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 AM

I have used them for backing. Get cheapo with low thread count. They do make excellent curtains!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 AM

I use sheets for backing because most of my quilts are for using. The sheet feels good against my skin and I really don't worry about the quilt police.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I have used sheets a couple of times on comforters and biscuit quilts. I find they tend to slide off the bed easier than fabric. Just my experience.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have used quilts for sheets and they were fine. My first large bed sized quilt (in the late 1870's) was a king size with a lovely blue green scene of water and palm trees -- I hand embroidered the quilt through the batting and backing echoing the entire pattern and adding some detail that was not in it. It was a bit harder to get through the sheets, but some ivory soap worked to help get the needle through the layers. It came out beautiful -- and I wish I still had it. When we moved to a new house, it had a different color scheme and DH took it to Goodwill one day since it was "just sitting around" -- I cried.
I would have been in the car going to Goodwill to retrieve the quilt, if my DH did that. I can imagine how difficult it was for you to find out he had done that.

By the way, I use sheets, too. I have also started using them for the pillowcases people are asking for lately... When I buy a sheet, it is usually in a set if new. Then I cut the bottom sheet into pieces to go into the top. Voila! A coordinated top and backing, and the pillowcases match. (A lot of times this is with flannel sheets for kids, and they love the results. There are lots of wonderful prints in the flannel.)

Last edited by Quilt Mom; 12-13-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Would the shrinkage difference of the sheet material vs. the quilt fabric be significant?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have used quilts for sheets and they were fine. My first large bed sized quilt (in the late 1870's) was a king size with a lovely blue green scene of water and palm trees -- I hand embroidered the quilt through the batting and backing echoing the entire pattern and adding some detail that was not in it. It was a bit harder to get through the sheets, but some ivory soap worked to help get the needle through the layers. It came out beautiful -- and I wish I still had it. When we moved to a new house, it had a different color scheme and DH took it to Goodwill one day since it was "just sitting around" -- I cried.

At church, we use sheets all the time for our charity quilts -- they hold up much better than pieced quilts since we tie them. We get some beautiful patterns at Goodwill, etc and love them.
I missed this the first time I read the thread...but someone quoted you and I saw it. My question --- did YOU quilt your first one --- in the 1870s????????????? My you hold your age well!!!!!! And still active!!!!!! ROL!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 AM

There is much reference to 'Thread count ' here.... pl help ..need to understand how to know 'thread count' when looking aat a fabric... I have many fabric stores in my city, but they carry what is dress fabric :
also is such fabric suitable for quilting.. any advice is welcome--& much needed !